Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Can you still have a record if

O

Otter6

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
If you attempt to shoplift and the LP catches you, brings you to the back, takes your info/pic and has you sign two papers (one was agreeing to not return to the store and idk what the other was I was nervous), and then lets you go with no cops involved, can you still have a record? (I know they can still report it to the police but theoretically speaking that they did not). Are the papers that you signed admitting considered a "conviction"? Or do you have to actually stand in front of the judge and be in a physical court room to be convicted and gain a record?

You caught a big break.
No, you won't have an official court record because the police weren't involved, nor will they become involved in your recent shoplifting event.

It's over.

You'll get a letter demanding you pay some money.

How much money?

Don't know, but when the letter arrives, pay the money, this event is over.

Also, stay out of that store to avoid any additional issues and don't be stupid, stop stealing, the next time the cops might get called.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Minus Police involvement and/or court there is no record outside store or any Retail theft database they might subscribe to. They have around a year to file a Police complaint which if done you would likely be contacted but again o record without court or bench warrant. Now you could provoke such a filing by returning to store and/or not pay Civil Demand when it come in mail (see links below) for now your name wont appear on any typical background check
A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery

Back