Can you be sued for telling the truth on a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imthird

I have read about the various forms of those being sued for slander and telling all kinds of lies on the Internet.

If I tell my own life story and tell things that other people did to me in real life, can I be sued for slander?

There are things in my life I would like to bring to the surface and they involve other family members who would not take kindly to what I reveal. I really don't
care if they like it or not, it is the real truth. Some will encompass how a business was stolen from my relative and why it still bothers me to this day.

Any advice is much appreciated...

I have read about the various forms of those being sued for slander and telling all kinds of lies on the Internet.

If I tell my own life story and tell things that other people did to me in real life, can I be sued for slander?

There are things in my life I would like to bring to the surface and they involve other family members who would not take kindly to what I reveal. I really don't
care if they like it or not, it is the real truth. Some will encompass how a business was stolen from my relative and why it still bothers me to this day.

Any advice is much appreciated...

Truth is the ULTIMATE defense to slander or libel.

But, truth isn't simply your account of events, TRUTH must be proven; not simply asserted or alleged; if court action is commenced!

There's the problem with "tell all" books.

Many people write their biographies as fiction, and change the names, dates, places to protect themselves and the innocent.

Others tell it all, and say damn the lawsuits.

Some choose to journal it, read it, and cogitate about it before doing more.

Ultimately it's a call you, and you alone must make.

Last edited:
Army Judge,

I respect your opinion and it means a lot to me. I will likely err on the side of caution which is a lesson in itself.

Thank you...

Also, remember that your truth is not necessarily someone else's truth. Just because you remember A, someone else may remember B. Both of you may be absolutely convinced that you are right and the other is wrong, and proving which of you is right can be a daunting task, to say the least. Especially if a third party remembers C.

You could do as army judge suggested & write it in a journal just for yourself - not to publish. Sometimes just putting it in writing helps. Generally publishing something with "critical comments" is not worth the price you migth have to pay. I understand though you wanting to publish it & get the truth out as you know it.

Thank you for you response. I have to agree with you as I don't want repercussions that may result.

You are very welcome "imthird".

As a very young lawyer, ever so many years ago, I once worked for a woman that told me before she sent an angry email, or an email fraught with criticism, she'd write the email and say everything that was on her mind.

Then she'd read it, stop and often chuckle afterwards, then delete the doggone email.

She told me that if I ever had to send such an email, simply forward it to her with a note saying, Dear Madam Boss (that's what she had us call her), this is "ONE of THEM".

Her advice has saved me many an embarrassment.

I sent her a couple of those, too, over the next couple of years.

She also said its a great idea to write it out in longhand on a tablet, read it, and tear it up.

She had been practicing law 35 years when I was lucky enough to work for her.

She's long passed on, but I remember her so well.

So, try Madam Boss' advice, it works, as I have personally used it, and still do (though NOT often enough it sometimes seems, I blame it on my OLDTIMER'S). LOL

Army Judge,

I can imagine you were one heck of a great attorney.

I truly appreciate your words of wisdom and have learned one thing over the years (I'm in my 60's), When people in the law profession offer advice, they
are definitely not "blowing smoke.'

No doubt I will follow your wonderful and I am sure missed mentors advice. I will write it down and send it to another email address of my own.

Again, I am grateful to you and others on this forum who are willing to take their time and give meaningful well intended answers to myself and so many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back