Can written report be added to after its been submitted?

JimmyMunce

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Can a written report submitted after a crime investigation be amended after its been submitted? Nothing will be changed but I certainly would like to add many more details and in fact would not include any info the police were not told about during the investigation.
Crime was a few weeks ago. No charges have yet to be filed. I was victim and reporting party.

I'd also like to know if ballistic tests are admisable in court as this case involves a shooting of a firearm.

Can a written report submitted after a crime investigation be amended after its been submitted? Nothing will be changed but I certainly would like to add many more details and in fact would not include any info the police were not told about during the investigation.
Crime was a few weeks ago. No charges have yet to be filed. I was victim and reporting party.

I'd also like to know if ballistic tests are admisable in court as this case involves a shooting of a firearm.

Call the detective, agent, investigator, or officer in charge of the case.

Simply say, "My name is Bertha Bubbles. I was a victim in case 1234, on August 1st. I have some new information that you might want to add to your report."

Not to worry, you'll be instructed what to do next.

Reports are amended all the time. If you contact the investigating officer and indicate you have additional information I'm sure they will receive it and amend the report. Just know that YOU have no say at all over what is actually in the report. You only provide information so the officer may write the report. If there are inconsistencies between your statements and what is in the report then it will come out at a later time. You can also try to speak with someone a little higher up if you think the officer's report is inadequate.

Ballistics are used in evidence all the time, but just because shots are fired and evidence is recovered it does not mean that there is any usable ballistic evidence.

Back