Can Spouse Get Access to Personal Bank Accounts after almost Two Years of Separation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarralumla

I've been separated from my husband for going on two years. This was a mutual separation (he lives in WA State). We agreed he would keep the house and land - I got money to move and settle in Arizona from a second mortgage. I am retired military and have a small pension, and I work from home to supplement that income. My husband had a good paying job put quit last November. Now he's put the house up for sale, has only enough money to make two more house payments (then it will go into foreclosure) and he's thinking he may have to file for bankruptcy. I have helped him out before money wise (I gave him half the money I originally got to move to Arizona) and I told him didn't have to pay me anything more. And because he was having such a hard time last year, I didn't ask for any of the taz refund, which was substantial.

For various reasons I have not filed for the divorce yet - it would mean he would have no health insurance... etc. But when he quit his job, that was the last straw for me.

Now he wants me to help him again, and is quick to remind me that my name is on the mortgage along with his. He's also maxed out all his credit cards. (These are his own - my name is not on them). I have one credit card that I use ONLY to pay for medical expenses not covered by my military medical insurance.

I established my own bank accounts when I moved here to Arizona. I keep a very strict buget, and have managed to save up a modest sum.

If he does end up going into foreclosure, or files for bankruptcy, does that mean he will get access to my bank accounts?

I have been thinking of making my accounts joint with my mother, who lives in Canada..

Thank you...

If he does end up going into foreclosure, or files for bankruptcy, does that mean he will get access to my bank accounts?

Did you give him access to your bank accounts?

By the way, the mortgage will be yours till it is either foreclosed or refinanced.

Not sure how this works - thanks for your reply... No, I didn't give him access to my accounts, nor do I have access to his accounts. And, yes I do know I'm on the mortgage until the "end". I knew that from the beginning. We had an agreement that the house would be his, and that I would start over again.. we didn't have any debt at the time except for the mortgage..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back