Consumer Law, Warranties Can someone help? "Don't Mix Family with Business"

Status
Not open for further replies.

supratrish

The state or country I am talking about is: Texas

Where to start... My parents bought my sister a car in 1996 (with a loan). My sister later bought another car, without paying off the previous loan on the first car. I picked up the car, and had a verbal contract with my sister to "assume payments". At the time of switch, there was $6,000 left on the loan. My sister re-financed the car, under her name (my credit is HORRIBLE)... I kept a pretty steady Excel spreadsheet of every cash payment too her. She supposedly did too. The interest rate was at a 9.25%. I had added this too my spreadsheet, and by the end of 2 yrs, I had shown that the loan is paid off. Time for title transfer, so I thought. My sister called the credit union, and they showed her owing $5,000 still. She had pocketed the money. She ran and cried to my Dad, making it sound like I hadn't paid her, and she wanted that debt off her back. My dad paid off the loan, and told me that we can work out payment plans... without my previous concent. I showed my father my spreadsheet, and turned around asking my sister for the money. She had already quit her job, and hasn't gotten another one. And, she has some how convensed my father, within the last 8 months, that it is really I who owes him. I have moved, and my computer has since crashed, due to one of those stupid worm viruses... thus, I don't have any evidence of my payments too her.

What do I do?!?! Does anyone have any advise? I'm willing to break ties with the family if that's what it takes. Oh yeah, My father is holding the title until he gets his money.

You claim you made cash payments to your sister, you only have an oral contract with her, you have nothing in writing at all. She disclaims it all. What is a court supposed to do? It is your word against hers. Even your father seems not to believe you.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying you are lying. What I try to show you is how someone neutral, like a judge, will think. How is he supposed to decide who speaks the truth?

I guess your best chance is to work things out with your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back