Can my former employer sue me for legal fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheard06

I had a wreck in a company vehicle and the other party is suing my former employer. After i had the wreck they held $500 out of my check to help pay for the deductible. They did this without telling me and without written permission. I filed with the Texas workforce commission after i quit to get my money back. He got the letter today telling him that i had filed. Of course it made him mad so now he is saying he is gonna sue me for the legal fees from the wreck. Does he have a case here?

Anyone can sue anyone else for anything at any time - whether they win is a different story. If you are sued, you definitely will want to get an attorney. You might even want to talk to an attorney/run it by an attorney at this time.

Agreed. Past that, deducting something from a pay check and taking someone to court are two very different things legally. Many states have restrictions on the employer unliterally taking deductions with no due process. However, in all states it is perfectly legal for the employer (or anyone else) to take you to court and make their case that you owe them money.

Here is wage deduction info for Texas: (just for your info)

Sec. 61.018. DEDUCTION FROM WAGES. An employer may not withhold or divert any part of an employee's wages unless the employer1) is ordered to do so by a court of competent jurisdiction;(2) is authorized to do so by state or federal law; or(3) has written authorization from the employee to deduct part of the wages for a lawful purpose.
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 269, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back