Can my fiance adopt my son?

SingleParent

Hey so can my fiance adopt my son without us being married? My son is five years old and my fiance been in his life for almost the past 2 years. He has started calling him dad without anybodies influence.
His "sperm donor" isn't and never has been around. I don't even know where he is. Hes not on the birth certificate nor was paternity ever established.
He have been thinking about this for a long time specially now that there is another child on the way. I want him to have a stable family life.
My fiance and I plan on getting married as soon as we can afford a wedding. We don't want to go to court.

You're going to court no matter what.

He can absolutely adopt your son. But in doing so, you and bio-Dad will both be strangers to the child.

If you mean a step-parent adoption, there must be an actual step-parent involved.

It would behoove you - for the sake of your child - not to keep his biological father a secret. He needs to know.

Yes i meant a step-parent adoption. His bio-father was never a secret. I just don't know where he is. I will be honest me and him had our lil one night stand and parted our ways.
The reason I want him adopted is because I can face up to 1 year in jail. I need my son with a responsible person who I can trust. My parents are out of the picture because they are some violent people and they the once who got me in the position I am now.

So, you don't have the $50 or so, whatever it costs to get a marriage license in Texas?

So you feel the need to let this man adopt your son but the two of you can't afford a wedding. Going to the court house to get married is cheap. Look at the money you would save to take care of this child. Unreal the way the minds of our young adults think today. What happens when you two divorce? If money is tight now how do you think he will be able to pay child support in the future. Then to top it off..... with no money you decide to have another child.

Yes i meant a step-parent adoption. His bio-father was never a secret. I just don't know where he is. I will be honest me and him had our lil one night stand and parted our ways.
The reason I want him adopted is because I can face up to 1 year in jail. I need my son with a responsible person who I can trust. My parents are out of the picture because they are some violent people and they the once who got me in the position I am now.

You're facing a year in jail?

It may be a better idea to place your child for adoption, or to contact the father and see if he would like to take custody of his child.

You're really not in much of a bargaining position, or indeed, parenting at all.

Get married & then after at least 6-12 months, talk to an attorney about a "possible" step-parent adoption.

However, the child does need to know about his bio father.

Back