Can my ex file a restraining order against me?

budddy

Jurisdiction
Colorado
My girlfriend of 2+ years and I have just split up. We live in the same apartment but I am not on the lease and in between jobs currently. My girlfriend has since decided shes a lesbian and moved her new girlfriend in and plans to put her on the lease. All of this has happened in just the past 2 weeks. I want to move out but have no options currently. I keep to myself and im looking for a job everyday, but The whole thing is very awkward for everyone. and even take her new partner to work and appointments when she can't. We have never had any sort of physical or violent altercations ever. I am civil and still help do the guy things for everyone, even her new lover. Like fixing stuff, throwing the trash, shoveling snow, working on the car, watching her son, etc. My girlfriend's new partner in pressuring her to put a restraining order on me to make me get out asap. I have no desire to be here but it is the ONLY option. I have no family or friends I could stay with. I want to leave asap, but I can't. What are my options ? Will she be able to get a restraining order? I have never hurt her or put her in danger in any way. I have plans to leave the first chance I get. But currently our apartment is the only place I have to stay. Please advise. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My girlfriend of 2+ years and I have just split up. We live in the same apartment but I am not on the lease and in between jobs currently.

So, you're essentially a sub-tenant. Is the landlord aware you're living there or does the lease permit your ex to allow others to live int he apartment without the landlord's permission?

I want to move out but have no options currently. . . . I have no desire to be here but it is the ONLY option. . . . What are my options ?

Given the two other sentences I quoted, I'm quite at a loss to understand what this question means or what you think anyone here can tell you that you don't already know.

Will she be able to get a restraining order?

According to what you've told us, she has no basis to seek or obtain one. However, based on posts I've seen on this and other message boards, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that your ex might lie to obtain an order.

Keep in mind that she can simply give you a notice to leave and, if you don't move out by the expiration period of the notice (I'm not sure about your state's laws in this regard, but it's typically 15-30 days), she can file an eviction action against you.

So, you're essentially a sub-tenant. Is the landlord aware you're living there or does the lease permit your ex to allow others to live int he apartment without the landlord's permission?
The landlord knows I'm living in our apartment.

Given the two other sentences I quoted, I'm quite at a loss to understand what this question means or what you think anyone here can tell you that you don't already know.

I want to know her options to get a restraining order and If she can make me leave without going through an eviction process. I need to know how much time I have. I want to leave I just have zero options currently. I plan to get out the first chance I get. I'm willing to go anywhere but a homeless shelter.

According to what you've told us, she has no basis to seek or obtain one. However, based on posts I've seen on this and other message boards, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that your ex might lie to obtain an order.

Keep in mind that she can simply give you a notice to leave and, if you don't move out by the expiration period of the notice (I'm not sure about your state's laws in this regard, but it's typically 15-30 days), she can file an eviction action against you.

Also if you have any advice on what to to about any of this ? I'm looking for a job daily. Im civil and don't cause problems. Should I be doing anything else besides looking for a job so I can leave?

Last edited:
What are my options ?

Get out tonight, not tomorrow, not sooner or later, TONIGHT.

You are like a HUMAN bullseye, and an arrow could hit you without notice.

I'd rather be homeless than an inmate in a county jail or a state prison.

You could be accused of anything at anytime by anyone of the NEW couple; and its curtains.

Get out tonight, not tomorrow, not sooner or later, TONIGHT.

You are like a HUMAN bullseye, and an arrow could hit you without notice.

I'd rather be homeless than an inmate in a county jail or a state prison.

You could be accused of anything at anytime by anyone of the NEW couple; and its curtains.
Really it's 25 degrees outside. I'm 99% posative she wouldn't lie and file a false report. We have cameras in our living room and her sons bedroom that record 24/7. I dont have any sort of record whatsoever. She has multiple felonies. If i had any option other than my car id leave. Man this sucks...

Really it's 25 degrees outside. I'm 99% posative she wouldn't lie and file a false report. We have cameras in our living room and her sons bedroom that record 24/7. I dont have any sort of record whatsoever. She has multiple felonies. If i had any option other than my car id leave. Man this sucks...

Don't blame me when they grow weary of a useless flat tire, mate.

They're a couple now.

You're also a liability, cash wise.

Your equipment and companionship is no longer required.

Heck, they might say you were NAUGHTY with the child.

Never under estimate love.... Her new lover will talk her into lying against you. The cops will show up and bang you're either arrested for assault. Then you're out of the house, facing legal problems and no where to live. I wouldn't stay there..... Maybe it's the weed your smoking that has fogged your mind.

Also if you have any advice on what to to about any of this ? I'm looking for a job daily. Im civil and don't cause problems. Should I be doing anything else besides looking for a job so I can leave?

We've gone beyond any legal issues here. Good luck.

There are homeless shelters in Colorado, just like in the other 49 states. Use the Interwebs and look one or two up.

Back