Can Los Angeles roommate force me out if I haven't yet signed formal rental contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankh

Hi,

I live in Los Angeles. In December of 2011, I moved into a two bedroom apartment which the sole occupant had advertised. I have been paying my rent on time; he has provided receipts. I have not yet signed a month-to-month rental contract with apartment management. Now, my roommate is threatening to evict me.

He is claiming that I still owe him money for security deposit. As an incentive for me to rent his spare bedroom, he had waived the security deposit—in full—before I paid him the first month's rent. (He knew that I had already put down a non-refundable deposit on another apartment.) However, once I paid him the first month's rent, he insisted that he would instead only give me a $100 discount off of the original deposit amount.

Also, he reneged on an agreement to take $180 off of February rent; this was out of consideration for the inconvenience due to two of his guests who stayed for a week in the living room. He had originally told me that they might be staying for several weeks or at most two months, until they found a place of their own. We agreed to a flat $180 deduction per month. However, after they left, he unilaterally changed the terms and gave me a credit for $60 only.

Before I moved in, my roommate told me that I would need to fill out a rental application with the apartment management. (I was required to submit it within the first week after moving.) Also, he explained that management would run a credit check before any approval of me as a tenant. These were the terms of his rental agreement.

Within that first week, I did fill out a rental application and paid a fee to management for the credit check. In the middle of December, the building manager informed me that I had been approved as a tenant. I was told that sometime during the following week, management would contact my roommate and me— to arrange the signing of a new rental contract. By the middle of January, I still had received no such follow-up contact. So finally, I asked the manager the reason for the delay. I was told that they had been quite busy and had not yet prepared a new rental contract. Once again, the manager added that my roommate and I would be contacted soon to sign a contract. I have heard nothing since.

Although I have looked at the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance's specific grounds for evictions, I am not sure where I stand.

1. Can my roommate lawfully claim that because I have yet to sign a rental agreement with apartment management—I am not a co-tenant, but a sub-tenant; therefore, he can begin an eviction process: by serving me with a thirty-day notice to quit?

2. If the apartment management does become involved, can management claim that I can be evicted with a thirty-day notice because my name is not on the rental agreement?

3. If so, can apartment management obtain judicial relief based upon such an assertion notwithstanding the fact that—after running a credit check—they approved me as tenant but have delayed my signing of a rental contract?

Thank you,

Frankh

1. Can my roommate lawfully claim that because I have yet to sign a rental agreement with apartment management—I am not a co-tenant, but a sub-tenant; therefore, he can begin an eviction process: by serving me with a thirty-day notice to quit?

I can't say that he can lawfully claim anything.
However, he can bring an eviction action against you.
As part of any eviction proceeding, you would have to first be properly served with a notice to quit.

2. If the apartment management does become involved, can management claim that I can be evicted with a thirty-day notice because my name is not on the rental agreement?

Signed lease or not, yes, the apartment management can bring an eviction action against you as an unauthorized tenant or trespasser.

The name given to your status is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that you are residing in the premises and you have no proof as to your legal staus.

Therefore, the management can bring an action to evict you.

3. If so, can apartment management obtain judicial relief based upon such an assertion notwithstanding the fact that—after running a credit check—they approved me as tenant but have delayed my signing of a rental contract?

You may have been approved to become a tenant.

You, however, never negotiated a lease.

Your status in the apartment is tenuous at best.

Your former friend isn't going to give you anything but grief.

I suggest you make arrangements to move as soon as you can.

If an eviction action is brought against you, it will impact your life in many negative ways.

It will ding your credit, and win or lose, it will negatively impact your ability to rent an apartment for many years to come.

Save yourself the hassle, get out while the getting is good!

This sounds as if it might be an unlawful sublet. The person you are paying money to is merely a roommate unless the terms of his rental contract permit him to lease to you ... from the sounds of it, they do not. As he is not truly the landlord, it is unlikely that he can enter into eviction proceedings against you. The real landlord (as represented through the management of the apartments) CAN evict you ... though he will likely have to evict both of you in order to force you out.

As mentioned, you might be better off moving out before this DOES get to court in one way or another.

This sounds as if it might be an unlawful sublet. The person you are paying money to is merely a roommate unless the terms of his rental contract permit him to lease to you ... from the sounds of it, they do not. As he is not truly the landlord, it is unlikely that he can enter into eviction proceedings against you. The real landlord (as represented through the management of the apartments) CAN evict you ... though he will likely have to evict both of you in order to force you out.

As mentioned, you might be better off moving out before this DOES get to court in one way or another.

@cdwjava, thank you for your input. I am considering all reasonable options, based upon the foreseeable future and any unfortunate turn of events. I am still hoping to reach an amicable resolution. I want to be well informed concerning any legal rights that I may have. Also, I am planning for an exit strategy as well. A little clarification is in order.

My roommate is a signatory of the lease. It's terms permit him to share his two-bedroom apartment, as long as the roommate submits an application, clears a credit check and signs a new rental contract along with the current lawful occupant.

If you are paying the roommate directly you are most likely a subtenant and he would be able to begin an eviction against you. That may not be the case however. You submitted an application to the management and they accepted you. Signed rental contract or not, you MIGHT be a co-tenant. If so, only the management could evict you.

No. A thirty day notice is not an eviction. Only a judge can order your eviction, and that takes a lot more than 30 days. Your name on the agreement is not even a significant factor. what matters more than anything is that you have established yourself in the residence. It does not even matter if you are paying your rent or what the agreement was. They will have to go through the same process to evict you.

There are likely a number of reasons they can use to support an eviction. What is significant is that they had knowledge of your presence and allowed you to stay, and that MAY have given you all the rights of a tenant regardless if any papers were signed. Even as a subtenant you have all the same rights of a tenant- you are just directly responsible to the tenant and not the landlord.

My roommate is a signatory of the lease. It's terms permit him to share his two-bedroom apartment, as long as the roommate submits an application, clears a credit check and signs a new rental contract along with the current lawful occupant.

These requirements suggest equal status as co-tenants. You have not signed a lease, which is actually good. You can walk away from this at any time and not owe anyone a dime. Your roommate is still responsible to the landlord for the full rent with or without your payment. Once you sign the lease you will both be equally responsible.

As mentioned above, this does not sound like a situation that will resolve amicably. Your best solution just may be to move along before things get worse... and be glad you never paid a deposit because you certainly would not get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back