Can I Terminate Father's Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle36

My sons' father has abandoned them for 8+ years, no child support (although I have attempted to collect) and no contact. I finally hired a private detective to locate him, I contacted him and he has zero desire to see his boys. I would like to know if I am able to terminate his parental rights based on abandonment and how do I go about doing so? Some further background: we reside in Montgomery County, Ohio, my guys are 13 and 12. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
He has not called, written, ZERO contact since early 2000. Whenever I attempted to collect support, he would literally quit his job, move and be off the grid, he did that seven times since the divorce in Jan. 99. I finally, last year, hired a PI to find him. . I found him working at a Radio Shack in MI, and when I called him he expressed his desire to be cut completely from their lives (what a guy). Not to poor mouth, but I am a single mom, and to hire an attorney would hurt me financially, is there a way to do this Pro Se?

Yes you could attempt pro se but again that is not recommended. Get consultation with an Attorney many offer this free for one time. Arm yourself with knowledge. Know this, this will be an uphill fight especially if Dad objects. Do you have a current husband willing to adopt? If not your chances went down another notch

Yes, in fact my finace is willing to adopt, however, that is not the reason I am wanting to terminate his rights as a parent. In spite of his not living up to his legal and moral obligations to these boys, he has been claiming one child on his federal income taxes for the last 2 years, thus, stealing from my sons what is rightfully their money. I am legally S.O.L. in that respect because in the divorce, it was stipulated that he CAN claim him, but I still think it's an immoral thing for him to do, knowing that he doesn't support them in any way. I understand, though that moral and legal responsibility are two seperate entities. Also, he was ordered to maintain health insurance, obviously he hasn't. I am just fed up and ready to cut him out. I do not trash him to the boys, that would be unfair to them, not him, but I have asked them what they want. They don't (at this point) want to see him or talk to him. I understand that may change as they get older, but I don't poison them with my anger, if they want to be angry, let it be for their own reasons, not mom's. At any rate, because the biological father himself has agreed to terminate his rights does that change my legal leg?

Fiance is not a husband! Take your Ex to court for contempt

Understood, we are looking to let him adopt WELL AFTER the termination is done. I don't want to overload my guys with legal hearings. I just feel that until I close him out of the picture, I shouldn't even talk to the boys about my fiance adopting them. And thanks for the replies.

It is not likely you can get a TPR without a "husband" willing to adopt. That husband and you should be married for at least one year. As I told you this is no easy process and to try it pro se coud delay the process if its even achievable

I do understand your problem and am not against what your trying to do. But the la wis the law. You really need to talk to an Attorney to see what, if anything, you can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back