Can i take Legal action against my landlord for burglary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dommarpon

My apartment was broken into recently and many items were stolen between me and my two roomates. We have renters insurance that will be able to cover some of the lost property, but it is a very minimal amount. The burglaurs gained access through a window with a faulty lock located in the living room. Upon signing our lease a year and a half ago, we noticed the faulty lock and put in a written request that the landlord repair it. The maintenence team failed to repair said lock and as a result of their negligence, the burglars were able to gain access into our apartment. While we have had enough time to make more than that first request, can the landlord still be held partially responsible? Will we be able to take legal action against the landlord? If we are able to take legal action, will it be worth the expenses we will incur to persue this issue? Thank you very much for your assistance.

My apartment was broken into recently and many items were stolen between me and my two roomates. We have renters insurance that will be able to cover some of the lost property, but it is a very minimal amount. The burglaurs gained access through a window with a faulty lock located in the living room. Upon signing our lease a year and a half ago, we noticed the faulty lock and put in a written request that the landlord repair it. The maintenence team failed to repair said lock and as a result of their negligence, the burglars were able to gain access into our apartment. While we have had enough time to make more than that first request, can the landlord still be held partially responsible? Will we be able to take legal action against the landlord? If we are able to take legal action, will it be worth the expenses we will incur to persue this issue? Thank you very much for your assistance.

You can sue anyone you want, God, The Devil, Santa Claus, Barack Obama, Queen Elizabeth, etc...

But, you have to PROVE your assertions and allegations in a civil suit.

How can you PROVE the landlord was negligent?

I'll bet he tells a different tale.

You coudl have repaired the alleged faulty window and lock, and discussed reimbursement with teh landlord AFTER the repair.

Bottom line, it was your stuff you allowed to be at risk, assuming the window and lock was faulty.

If I were you, I'd spend a $100 and fix the window and lock, after I obtained permission from the landlord.

Or, it might be time to consider moving and dismiss the idea of suing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back