Vehicle Repossession Can I take back a privately sold car that hasnt been paid for in full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrigg

I sold my car to a family friend. He only paid down half as I was trying to help him get into a car. I have allowed him to keep my current tags. The tags expire at the end of this month and I refuse to sign over the title until it is paid in full. Can I require that he pay the additional money owed to me by the end of the month since the tags will expire? and if he doesnt pay can I legally take the car back since it is still registered in my name? I more than likely screwed myself, but I was trying to help out a friend.... thank you for your time

Do you have a written contract?
If you, what are the terms of sale?

We do not have a written contract. Everything was verbal. (I know dumb move) Tags, Title are in my name. Nothing has been switched to his. He has paid $500 down and owes me the remaining $500.

The easiest solution is to return his $500, if he agrees to return your car.

The car is probably a bucket if bolts.

So why not sign over the title and be done with it?

It should be obvious he isn't going to pay you any more money without a fight.

Is a lousy $500 worth the effort?

You should also understand that if he destroys a $100,000 Mercedes, you'll be on the hook. Why? You're still the legal owner.

Sign over the title. Get this anchor taken from around your neck. The risk is too high, the reward is too small!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back