Can i sue my college for negligence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiramisuzy

Hello,

I need to know if I can sue a City University of New York (Brooklyn College) for negligence. Here's what they did: At the beginning of the semester they told me financial aid had covered most of my full time tuition and that I only owed $354, which I paid by check. I dropped one credit and never received any refund for that credit. Then, a week ago, I received a REFUND check from them for a thousand dollars. I assumed it was extra financial aid plus the refund for the dropped credit. I spent about a quarter of the money to pay off credit cards. NOW, they send me an email saying my account is PAST DUE for the exact amount they sent me in the check. I called them and they said it was a glitch in the system and it happened to many students and I need to pay the money back.

My question is: Am I liable for THEIR mistake?

Also, I want to sue them for emotional distress and negligence b/c this isn't the first time their mistakes have caused a heap of stress on the students.

Hello,

I need to know if I can sue a City University of New York (Brooklyn College) for negligence. Here's what they did: At the beginning of the semester they told me financial aid had covered most of my full time tuition and that I only owed $354, which I paid by check. I dropped one credit and never received any refund for that credit. Then, a week ago, I received a REFUND check from them for a thousand dollars. I assumed it was extra financial aid plus the refund for the dropped credit. I spent about a quarter of the money to pay off credit cards. NOW, they send me an email saying my account is PAST DUE for the exact amount they sent me in the check. I called them and they said it was a glitch in the system and it happened to many students and I need to pay the money back.

My question is: Am I liable for THEIR mistake?

Also, I want to sue them for emotional distress and negligence b/c this isn't the first time their mistakes have caused a heap of stress on the students.

You have no case, despite what you believe.

You received money that you were not owed.

You used a portion of that money to pay off other debts.

You still owe the amount you were overpaid by the college.

You pay them, or they could sue you, withhold your transcripts, or even disenroll you.

Those are your legal choices.

You can sue anyone for almost anything.

That doesn't mean you prevail in your lawsuit, which is why most people bring such suits, to make themselves WHOLE.

I don't see a winning case for you. You do need to pay them any money owed. Honest errors/mistakes happen. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back