Can I sue CUNY for discrimination on 1st Amendment

Blessed Love

Jurisdiction
New York
I am Student at a Predominantly Black institution where i began trading Africana books on sidewalk in front of my college in Spring 2015 because college book store was permanently closing. After being harassed by a Jewish peace officer who said he will "shut me down". I made complaint with office of student affairs about the actions of said peace officer. The retaliation taken against me was outside police department being called to investigate my activity. When officers came to speak with me, I was told that I was not braking any statues or laws in trading books because of 1st Amendment. I followed up in filing complaints with NYS HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION, who stated becuase of jurisdiction it can not investigate complaint. As such, I made complaint with Department of Education who did investigate. In that investigation, the peace officer admit he called police on me because I didn't have license to trade books. Also, he claim we had an agreement. As fact, I have business certification and sales Tax Is. Becuase the peace officer has a gun on campus, I have not followed up with matter. Based on dates of incidents, I have til May 4, 2018 to file a federal civil rights lawsuit. Any suggestions....

You are the boss of what you do and decide.

The advice of strangers is useless.

i began trading Africana books on sidewalk in front of my college

Please explain exactly what this means. With whom and for what were you "trading" these books and for what purpose? You mentioned that you were doing this because the college's bookstore was permanently closing. Of what relevance is that to your "trading" of the books?

After being harassed by a Jewish peace officer who said he will "shut me down". I made complaint with office of student affairs about the actions of said peace officer.

Query how you know this person is Jewish. Did he volunteer that information? Did you ask, "what religion do you follow?" If the latter, why would you ask that? Also, what exactly does "peace officer" mean? Campus police? Local police or sheriff? Something else?

The retaliation taken against me was outside police department being called to investigate my activity.

What "retaliation"?

the peace officer admit he called police on me because I didn't have license to trade books.

So basically, this all boils down to the officer believing (albeit perhaps mistakenly) you were operating a business without a proper business license. Is that about it?

I have business certification and sales Tax Is.

Sales tax is...what?

I have til May 4, 2018 to file a federal civil rights lawsuit.

Against whom and for what? As far as I can tell you're talking about a one-time encounter that occurred roughly three years ago, and nothing suggests any civil rights were violated.

Any suggestions.

My suggestion is not to blow a minor transgression out of proportion and move on with your life.

The first amendment has nothing to do with you operating a defacto bookstore on the sidewalk. Even if you had a business license, it doesn't mean you can set up shop anywhere you please. Why is the DOE involved? They don't have anything to do with you operating a bookstore either. I'm not even sure what you would have complained about to the NY Human Rights Commission. Nothing you posted would indicate you have any sort of case against any party. I suppose you could pay an attorney to listen to your whole saga and advise you, but unless there is whole lot you left out, that would be a wast of time and money.

Back