Can I sell my roommates furniture

Breanne

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am currently in a roommate situation with my husbands friend. We reside in his home with his unmedicated by choice schizophrenic bipolar girlfriend. She tried to poison my dogs and I became very upset. She had an episode, flipped out and we had to call the police for a welfare check. We live with her currently because hes deployed overseas. She's convinced him we are the enemy and out to get him and her. Which in fact I'm not at all. He's stopped talking to my husband and I, and kicked us out of the house. Can I sell the furniture and items in the home so I will financially be able to leave?

I am currently in a roommate situation with my husbands friend. We reside in his home with his unmedicated by choice schizophrenic bipolar girlfriend. She tried to poison my dogs and I became very upset. She had an episode, flipped out and we had to call the police for a welfare check. We live with her currently because hes deployed overseas. She's convinced him we are the enemy and out to get him and her. Which in fact I'm not at all. He's stopped talking to my husband and I, and kicked us out of the house. Can I sell the furniture and items in the home so I will financially be able to leave?
No. The LL must follow the ll/tenant laws for your state.

And, no, you can't sell off someone else's personal property and pocket the profits. If you do, then she may be crazy, but you'd be a criminal.

He's stopped talking to my husband and I, and kicked us out of the house.

Sounds to me like you haven't actually been kicked out yet. Rather, you've only been asked to leave. Correct? Did your landlord serve you with an appropriate eviction notice? If not, then you're under no legal obligation to leave.

Can I sell the furniture and items in the home so I will financially be able to leave?

You can sell anything in your possession if you can find a buyer willing to pay a price that you are willing to accept. I assume you intended to ask whether it would be legal to sell the items mentioned, and that obviously depends on whether or not the items belong to you? You don't seriously think you can legally sell your landlord's stuff just because you're being evicted, do you?

Sounds to me like you haven't actually been kicked out yet. Rather, you've only been asked to leave. Correct? Did your landlord serve you with an appropriate eviction notice? If not, then you're under no legal obligation to leave.

You can sell anything in your possession if you can find a buyer willing to pay a price that you are willing to accept. I assume you intended to ask whether it would be legal to sell the items mentioned, and that obviously depends on whether or not the items belong to you? You don't seriously think you can legally sell your landlord's stuff just because you're being evicted, do you?

Yes they are my items.

Can I sell the furniture and items in the home so I will financially be able to leave?

If you sell things that don't belong to you, that is a crime.

In Texas that crime is called "conversion".

It is a felony.

Conversion is the unauthorized and wrongful assumption and exercise of dominion and control over the personal property of another to the exclusion of, or inconsistent with, the owner's rights.

I suggest you take ONLY your property and leave the residence tonight.

To linger where there could be confrontations between you and a dangerous, psychotic/schizophrenic person is playing with fire and gasoline.

Are you on a military installation?

If you are living in lodging assigned to another service member, that is NOT allowed.
In some case, that could become a criminal act, or subject the service members (as in BOTH parties) to UCMJ action.

You need not respond here, just remedy your dilemma QUICKLY.

Back