1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Can I sell my roommates furniture

Discussion in 'Commercial Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by Breanne, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Breanne

Breanne Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    I am currently in a roommate situation with my husbands friend. We reside in his home with his unmedicated by choice schizophrenic bipolar girlfriend. She tried to poison my dogs and I became very upset. She had an episode, flipped out and we had to call the police for a welfare check. We live with her currently because hes deployed overseas. She’s convinced him we are the enemy and out to get him and her. Which in fact I’m not at all. He’s stopped talking to my husband and I, and kicked us out of the house. Can I sell the furniture and items in the home so I will financially be able to leave?

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

No. The LL must follow the ll/tenant laws for your state.

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

And, no, you can't sell off someone else's personal property and pocket the profits. If you do, then she may be crazy, but you'd be a criminal.

Red Kayak and justblue like this.
  4. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

No, you can't steal things that don't belong to you and sell them.

I really can't imagine how you think that would be OK.

justblue and Zigner like this.
  5. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you haven't actually been kicked out yet. Rather, you've only been asked to leave. Correct? Did your landlord serve you with an appropriate eviction notice? If not, then you're under no legal obligation to leave.

You can sell anything in your possession if you can find a buyer willing to pay a price that you are willing to accept. I assume you intended to ask whether it would be legal to sell the items mentioned, and that obviously depends on whether or not the items belong to you? You don't seriously think you can legally sell your landlord's stuff just because you're being evicted, do you?

6. Breanne

Breanne Law Topic Starter New Member

Yes they are my items.

7. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

If you sell things that don't belong to you, that is a crime.

In Texas that crime is called "conversion".

It is a felony.

Conversion is the unauthorized and wrongful assumption and exercise of dominion and control over the personal property of another to the exclusion of, or inconsistent with, the owner's rights.

I suggest you take ONLY your property and leave the residence tonight.

To linger where there could be confrontations between you and a dangerous, psychotic/schizophrenic person is playing with fire and gasoline.

Are you on a military installation?

If you are living in lodging assigned to another service member, that is NOT allowed.
    In some case, that could become a criminal act, or subject the service members (as in BOTH parties) to UCMJ action.

You need not respond here, just remedy your dilemma QUICKLY.

8. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

If they're your items, then you may legally sell them, and I have to wonder why you would have any uncertainty about that.

9. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

The thread header is named: "Can I sell my roommates furniture". So which is it?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Red Kayak likes this.
  10. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

You certainly could, but you would almost certainly regret it later.