Can I sell a photograph I took of Lambeau Field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportmom42

I took a picture of Lambeau Field and printed a large picture of it for my son. Now clients of mine want to buy a copy from me. Some photographers don't think I can sell my photograph unless I have permission from the Green Bay Packers, other say that as long as I'm not trespassing on private property that I can sell them. On another note, I have a picture I took of one of the Packers Players after the Superbowl win last year when they were on a bus on the way back to the stadium. Again, some say I can sell that photo because he was in a public place and others say I can't. I've seen lots of people selling things similar on ebay and etsy, but I want to make sure it's legit if I do sell them. Thanks.

While building owners can claim all the rights they want, the crux of this issue usually arises from pictures taken on private property or within the stadium. You should see a statement of terms on a ticket to a game (or a link to one, the New York Yankees terms being very lacking from my experience) as to taking photographs in the stadium, etc. Photographers usually are admitted with a license (the press.) If you took a photo from a public place, I do not believe there is any ability that the team could have superior rights than your own - despite the fact that I believe some building owners have tried to prevent pictures of their architecture.

Case in point - how many pictures are sold of the New York City skyline? Do you think that the photographers had to negotiate rights with every building owner?

Without saying a 100% yes or now without performing more legal research, I do not foresee a problem with selling a photo of a building that you took yourself from a public place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back