Can I Request Termination of Parental Rights w/o An Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandpaB60

Can I request termination of my ex-wife's parental rights without an attorney? If so, how do I go about doing this?

I have sole custody of my children because my ex-wife has a long history (19+ years) of using illegal drugs (Methamphetamine and Cocaine are her drugs of choice). I didn't know this when I married her, incidentally.

My ex-wife, who lives in another state, lives a several hour drive from us, refuses to move closer to the girls, walked out on our family when our youngest child was 6 weeks old. She refused to take our children with her because "the little ******* (profanity) will interfere with my social life." (Our youngest child is now 10 years old.) She never sends our children cards, letters or e-mails. She visits them briefly once every couple months, usually not for more than a few minutes, and when she does, she doesn't care how the boys are, what they've been doing, etc., she's too busy complaining to me that she has to pay child support.

My ex-wife has admitted to everyone that the only reason she visits our children is because a district court judge forces her to visit our children. (The judge tells her that she either has to visit her children or he'll charge her with contempt of court.)

My ex-wife has temper tantrums far worse than any 2-year old child. My current wife and I have several 2- & 3-year old grandchildren who behave much better than my ex-wife. My ex-wife has displayed her temper several times in both District Court and County Court.

Every other word out of my ex-wife's mouth is a profanity and has a long history of breaking the law. Examples: forgery, theft, burglary, soliciting a cop, prostitution for drugs, shoplifting, manufacturing and distributing contraband, and more.

My ex-wife has the maturity level of about an 18-month old child, seriously. My ex-wife laughs hysterically after she sees one or more of our children get hurt or injured in some way because she thinks it's funny. (My wife has to protect our children when my ex-wife is here because my ex-wife, our children's birth mother refuses to protect our children.)

My ex-wife recently got caught shoplifting in a store then went to an attorney (in the state in which my ex-wife lives, who my ex-wife didn't realize is a long-time friend of mine) because she wanted to sue the employee that caught her shoplifting because the employee prevented her "from her legal right to steal." The attorney refused to take her case then after my ex-wife left, the attorney called me to inform me of the above. He asked me "Is your ex-wife nuts? She's gotta be nuts because no one has a legal right to steal."

My ex-wife sat in our living room then announced that "it's ok to break the law, stealing isn't a crime until you're caught." This thinking is, in my opinion, pure lunacy.

When she takes our children to visit her in home state, upon every return home, without exception, our children come home to Nebraska with very visible handprints, belt buckle imprints, a cigarette burn on their spine, blisters on their fingers from being burned by the flame of a cigarette lighter, rope burns around their neck & waist and scrapes from being tied to the bumper of their birth mother's car then while their birth mother is driving her car, our children are drug along the road and much more. (My ex-wife's cousin works in management at the Department of Health & Human Services in that state and has admitted to me in the past that she intentionally changes abuse reports against my ex-wife so my ex-wife can never prosecuted for the physical abuse my ex-wife commits against our children.)
Yes, I take pictures of the abuse as soon as the children walk through our door after their visits with their birth mother.

Last year while our youngest child, now age 10, was hospitalized in a psychiatric unit for an unexpected temper explosion in school, the psychiatrist discovered a scar on our child's head that we didn't know anything about. When the psychaitrist asked our child what happened, our child told the doctor that while on a recent visit with his birth mother in her home state (not Nebraska), he got hit in his head with the sharp edge of an axe, it was deep but because his birth mom would get in trouble, his birth mom refused to take him to a doctor for stitches, so our child held rags on the wound (that the doctor told us was obviously rather deep) to stop the bleeding which took several hours.

The psychaitrist told us that our youngest child probably has permanent brain damage as a result of getting hit in the head with an axe. Our child told the doctor the reason for getting hit in the head with an axe was because the birth mother wanted to kill our child after our child told her birth mother to take her home to Mom & Dad in Nebraska.

I'm convinced that my ex-wife is nuts. My wife calls her a "psycho lunatic because no one that thinks normally would ever consider such behavior toward her children" which is very true. (In additon to our children who I have sole custody of, we have a lot of grown children and a lot of grandchildren.)

I don't understand why the courts in Nebraska haven't terminated her parental rights by now. I would like the courts to terminate her parental rights as soon as possible in order to protect our children.

My problem is that I can't afford to hire an attorney and pro bono attorneys don't do this kind of case. Can I do this myself?

You can do it yourself. Its never advisable but you can. File a petition to terminate her parental rights in the appropriate court. Here it would be Juvenile Court. She can consent to that petition or just not show up and then you will have to show the Court that Termination is in the best interest of the child. That doesn't sound too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back