can I move out

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighjoy

I am 17 years old and a senor in high school. I have never been in trouble legally and have good grades and am actice in sports. I live with my aunt but she treats me terrible. She is unhappy with her life so She is negative, mean, unreasonable and rude. I hate being there. They signed temporary custody papers two years ago but never filed them. I want to move in woth my friend and her parents. My mom has given me permission and said she will call law office and tell them if I get reported as a run away its false I'm leaving with permission. Is this safe ? I don't want to get in legal trouble or be forced back into the house.

Until you are 18, you live where your mother or legal guardian says you live. Who ACTUALLY has legal authority over you?

My mom I believe my mom gave her temporary custody. But she never filed them and its been two yrs ao it'd be void right ?

If that is the case, and if your mother has given you permission to move out, then you can move out. Note that your mom can revoke that permission at any time up to your 18th birthday.

Since you do not appear to be 100% certain, however, of who has legal custody of you, I would strongly suggest that you verify that before taking any action. Because if your mom is not the one with legal custody and you move out on her say-so, both you and she can get into real trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back