1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Can I expect a hospital to put my Advance Directive on file?

Discussion in 'Power of Attorney & Living Wills' started by skyblue36, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyblue36

skyblue36 Law Topic Starter New Member

My health plan advised me to put my Advance Directive on file with all local hospitals I am likely to receive treatment from in an emergency. When I asked questions online as to whether or not a hospital has to even accept my Advance Directive (or acknowledge receiving it), I received a response saying there was no possible reason for a hospital to accept my Directive before I actually have an emergency, and that I am expecting 'personalized treatment' by expecting them to put an Advance Directive in my medical chart. I'm confused now. Even on legal forums I have been told to put my Advance Directive on file, so that it is readily available in an emergency. Can someone clarify? Thanks for your help--

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

A hospital doesn't have to maintain a file on someone that haven't seen, or might see.

I suggest you carry a copy of your advance directive with you at all times, if this concerns you.

You should also provide a copy of same to someone you trust in case you are incapacitated and unable to communicate your desires.