Can I expect a hospital to put my Advance Directive on file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue36

My health plan advised me to put my Advance Directive on file with all local hospitals I am likely to receive treatment from in an emergency. When I asked questions online as to whether or not a hospital has to even accept my Advance Directive (or acknowledge receiving it), I received a response saying there was no possible reason for a hospital to accept my Directive before I actually have an emergency, and that I am expecting 'personalized treatment' by expecting them to put an Advance Directive in my medical chart. I'm confused now. Even on legal forums I have been told to put my Advance Directive on file, so that it is readily available in an emergency. Can someone clarify? Thanks for your help--

A hospital doesn't have to maintain a file on someone that haven't seen, or might see.

I suggest you carry a copy of your advance directive with you at all times, if this concerns you.

You should also provide a copy of same to someone you trust in case you are incapacitated and unable to communicate your desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back