can I eliminate visitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roo2702

My daughter is almost 4. She met her father when she was 10 months old. This was all his doing. He denied her in court & wanted nothing to do with her, until this time. In the mean time, paternity was established & I got custody. When he finally called, I let him meet her. From July 2000 until about December, he saw her every day whenever we were home. When he got involved in other things, such as school or a new girlfriend, he saw her less & less. He has court ordered visitation, which is very minimal. He, until this past Wed has been seeing her once a month, for an hour...much much less than his rights allow. On Thursday he informed me that he no longer wishes to be in my daughters life. Although he will still pay child support. Can I go to the court & petiton that he has zero visitation??? If I present this case will the judge be likely to grant this request? I don't want him to think he can keep coming in & out of her life.

Originally posted by roo2702:
My daughter is almost 4. She met her father when she was 10 months old. This was all his doing. He denied her in court & wanted nothing to do with her, until this time. In the mean time, paternity was established & I got custody. When he finally called, I let him meet her. From July 2000 until about December, he saw her every day whenever we were home. When he got involved in other things, such as school or a new girlfriend, he saw her less & less. He has court ordered visitation, which is very minimal. He, until this past Wed has been seeing her once a month, for an hour...much much less than his rights allow. On Thursday he informed me that he no longer wishes to be in my daughters life. Although he will still pay child support. Can I go to the court & petiton that he has zero visitation??? If I present this case will the judge be likely to grant this request? I don't want him to think he can keep coming in & out of her life.
I haven't as much experience in this area (someone else dealing with domestic relations and custody issues?) but if you're getting child support payments and he's not showing up, there isn't much to complain about. Additionally, your child may not want to visit with him if he continues to show up rarely and that could also solve any potential issue. I'm not sure you have the right to slam the door, especially if he's still somewhat in your daughter's life and right now they are just words you say were spoken to you... actions don't back it up just yet either.

Thank you

Well...it has been 3 1/2 years now, and he has not come to see her at all. Since that time, he has gotten married and now has another child in that marriage. My daughter does not know that she has a sister. What exactly are mt daughters rights when it comes to this man...now that he has a family. Is my daughter still entitled to things like the 17% child support? If he went to court to ask for a decrease, would they grant that to him because he has another child? Does my daughter have the right to meet her sister when she is older if she chooses to? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back