Can I be forced to speak another language for translation purposes?

Anastasio66

Jurisdiction
California
Good evening, I am currently employed by a retail store and after been employed for more than 2 years (since they opened for business) I asked for a pay increase and also given the fact that I am bilingual. When I had a meeting with our district supervisor weeks ago I explained why I believe I need an increase pay and Also I explained my bilingual skills Spanish and English, this store has a rate of 65% Hispanic none speaking English customers. And I am the only Spanish speaking employee in the entire store. And to make story not to long the district supervisor said that he apréciates my bilingual skills but they don't give pay increase because of that skill. So can I get fired if I stop helping coworkers translating from English to Spanish in order to complete the sale or comunícate with the customer?

50% - 60 % of my shift is just translating. Plus doing what the rest of my coworkers do. I'm some cases I have to stop what I am doing in order to go translate for another co-worker.

Thanks for reading

So can I get fired if I stop helping coworkers translating from English to Spanish in order to complete the sale or comunícate with the customer?

Yes. It's unfortunate that you didn't get the pay raise that you sought and that the employer apparently doesn't value you language skills more. But there is no law that requires an employer to pay more for those skills nor any law that protects you if you refuse to use those skills at work. You might want to find work at a place that puts more value on those skills and will compensate you for it.

You can be fired for wearing purple socks if the employer cares to (I actually never fired anybody for this, but it did keep one guy from being hired). There are very few things that you can't be fired for. This is not one of them.

Everyone is replaceable, including bosses.

Thanks for your reply!

Don't even imagine, in the situation you've described above, that your boss would be the one to go. What you are suggesting you do is absolutely unacceptable behavior in an employee. You are not owed a raise just because you bring a different skill to the table.

Don't even imagine, in the situation you've described above, that your boss would be the one to go. What you are suggesting you do is absolutely unacceptable behavior in an employee. You are not owed a raise just because you bring a different skill to the table.

Thanks for your guy's input. Is not just that particular skill but several and the time of the employment with the company. The people that just got hired are making the same income as me, and I have been with the store since they opened.

Well tomorrow I will give them my resignation, effective immediately. (No two week notice)

Thanks for reading.

Just out of curiosity, when you apply for new jobs what are you going to give them as the reason you're no longer in your soon-to-be-former position?

Well tomorrow I will give them my resignation, effective immediately. (No two week notice)

Better have another job lined up before you do that.

Just out of curiosity, when you apply for new jobs what are you going to give them as the reason you're no longer in your soon-to-be-former position?

"I'm looking for new challenges, room for advancement, better use of my skills and abilities."

Always worked for me.

;)

I have a couple of jobs lined up. Perhaps I might give them my two week notice today. Just to see if they fire me before my two weeks (March 22).

This is a part time job but I been getting 40-50 hours for the past 3 weeks but normally is 8, 16, 20 hours per week. So this week starting today I will just turn in my two weeks notice and say "I can't work the rest of the schedule..sorry" and also let them know for the remaining of this month I am only able to work on weekends. when that first weekend comes my car will brake down while out of town. Also I will be sick the day after (March 21). And March 22 is the following day but I no longer work the week days, therefore my two week notice has been fulfilled.

Is that better than resigning today.. ? (Lol)

Last edited:
I have a couple of jobs lined up. Perhaps I might give them my two week notice today. Just to see if they fire me before my two weeks (March 22).

This is a part time job but I been getting 40-50 hours for the past 3 weeks but normally is 8, 16, 20 hours per week. So this week starting today I will just turn in my two weeks notice and say "I can't work the rest of the schedule..sorry" and also let them know for the remaining of this month I am only able to work on weekends. when that first weekend comes my car will brake down while out of town. Also I will be sick the day after (March 21). And March 22 is the following day but I no longer work the week days, therefore my two week notice has been fulfilled.

Is that better than resigning today.. ? (Lol)
You would prefer being terminated for cause? Refusing to work at your scheduled times will lead to your termination for cause. I don't see why you think that would be any better.

can I get fired if I stop helping coworkers translating from English to Spanish in order to complete the sale or comunícate with the customer?

Yes. More importantly, it would be legal for your employer to fire you for this reason.

If you believe your skills are undervalued by your employer, you are free to seek other employment.

You would prefer being terminated for cause? Refusing to work at your scheduled times will lead to your termination for cause. I don't see why you think that would be any better.

I understand your point. But according to our store manager when you are a part time employee you have flexibility when it comes to days and hours, last year they used to give me 5-8 hours per week. And I didn't quit. Plus they are aware that I normally have a full time job with other employers, but that other full time job is lined up. So, it worked before, the only difference is that today the notice will be giving. I'm just trying to see how good or bad of a boss this corporate is.

And lately they have been releasing the schedule the last day of the week, hard to make plans like that outside of work.

I understand your point. But according to our store manager when you are a part time employee you have flexibility when it comes to days and hours, last year they used to give me 5-8 hours per week. And I didn't quit. Plus they are aware that I normally have a full time job with other employers, but that other full time job is lined up. So, it worked before, the only difference is that today the notice will be giving. I'm just trying to see how good or bad of a boss this corporate is.

And lately they have been releasing the schedule the last day of the week, hard to make plans like that outside of work.
Your rationalization(s) don't change what I said. If you refuse to work when scheduled, you can be terminated for cause.

Your rationalization(s) don't change what I said. If you refuse to work when scheduled, you can be terminated for cause.

Unemployment if the jobs don't come quick as I think? Or due to terminated for cause I won't qualify?

The city I live there is plenty of agricultural employment opportunities and right now they are hiring right and left. Is the season! It might take a couple of weeks to get it but mostly is just in a matter of days. Like I have mentioned I have a couple lined up just waiting for the call when they officially start.

I work in agricultural every year.

Generally, you won't qualify for unemployment insurance benefits if you are terminated for refusing to work when scheduled.

You seem to be taking this matter very lightly. I'm glad you have such great confidence in yourself and I wish you the best of luck.

Generally, you won't qualify for unemployment insurance benefits if you are terminated for refusing to work when scheduled.

Ok. So is better then just resign today I guess. "Assuming they will go that route" keep in mind also that they were aware of me getting another job at any given moment and in short notice and might affect my current schedule. But also I know what you described means they can "say I refuse to work this current schedule of 40 hours"

Thanks for the input once again.

This is a part time job but I been getting 40-50 hours for the past 3 weeks but normally is 8, 16, 20 hours per week.

That is what kills you with regard to the scheduling. Had you refused to work the extra hours starting 3 weeks ago, you'd have a much better argument for quitting because of the extra hours.

Back