Personal Bankruptcy Can I be fired after Bankruptcy? (Job as bank manager)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeltrouble

Thank you in advance.

I have an opportunity for a promotion, which would require me to move to North Carolina. The new position would be a manager of a retail branch, for a large banking corporation. I'm likely going to be forced into bankruptcy in the next 6-9months, due to 2 properties in Florida that I am unable to sell, and can not afford to continue the payments. I have completely depleted my savings, and have never missed a payment, but cannot continue to do so much longer.

My question is, since my job does have some fiduciary responsibility, as manager of a bank branch handling large sums of money, can I be fired for filing a chapter 7 or 13? I do not have much credit card debt, and have never had any legal issues, but a relative told me it is a possibility.

If it is conceiveable that it would happen, would I be better off filing in Florida before I have lived in NC for 6 months?

Thank you

Not all law is employment law. Banking law states that a person cannot be denied employment on the basis of a bankrupcy.

However, I am aware that there have on some occasions been instances where employees with a fiduciary responsibility to their employer (banks or credit unions) have had adverse action taken with regards to their employment due to a bankrupcy. I do not know the legal basis on which these exceptions have been made.

Bank employees are held at a higher standard; therefore they are to have good credit etc... They could let you go over the bankruptcy, however they won't tell you that is the reason. Most banks/ Credit unions feel if you talk to the talk you had better walk the walk-- I have had co workers be fired for garnishments or even denied the job because of poor credit. Almost every bank or credit union (in Utah ) pulls credit before they hire you.

Rather than file for bankruptcy, do a "work out" or "deed in lieu of foreclosure" with your bank. They will work with you. They certainly don't want to wind up with the properties through foreclosure. There are companies that will attempt a "short sale" that may solve your problem.

Rather than file for bankruptcy, do a "work out" or "deed in lieu of foreclosure" with your bank. They will work with you. They certainly don't want to wind up with the properties through foreclosure. There are companies that will attempt a "short sale" that may solve your problem.

Call uncle Sam I am sure you qualify for a bailout....:):):) Goodluck be honest with them about this.

This thread started 12/08-- I am sure the original person that posted is not even on the site -- LOOK AT THE DATES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back