Can I Attend The Closing?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang54

Can I attend the closing of my mother's house? I was told that even though I am her son, that there is no reason for me to be there and they probably would not let me in.

I would like to go, simply because my mother is elderly and she said that she would feel more comfortable with me with her. But now she tells me that her lawyer told her that even SHE doesn't have to attend, as he will sign all of the documents for her as her attorney. And he doesn't want me there. Does that sound right? Or can she appoint a person to have power of attorney just for this closing???

I just want to go just to make sure everything is on the up and up, and that if there is a problem I am there.

But now she tells me that her lawyer told her that even SHE doesn't have to attend, as he will sign all of the documents for her as her attorney. And he doesn't want me there. Does that sound right? Or can she appoint a person to have power of attorney just for this closing???
If she gave the attorney a POA for the purpose you are describing on the posting, you and her don't need to be there and yes, that sounds right. Hope this helps!

I concur with Presutin. I would add that the fact that your presence is not required does not mean that it should be excluded, and your mom could stipulate that you attend. But frankly I see no good coming of it, and her lawyer is right not to want you to attend. He's there to look after your mom's interests, and you are an interloper. You would have have no power to do anything with respect to the sale. You don't need to be there anyways. If there *were* anything that was not on "the up and up", it would still be evident after the fact. Real estate purchases are thoroughly papered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back