Can divorce court prevent change in life insurance beneficiary?

Delmar Pete

Jurisdiction
Utah
Hello,

In a divorce settlement, can the court prevent the owner of a life insurance policy from changing the beneficiary on the policy?

I'm the owner of the policy & she is currently the beneficiary.

She left me and is the one who filed for divorce (ie she's the petitioner and I'm the respondent).

I am completely and permanently disabled and receiving Social Security disability.

She is healthy, working full-time and brings in about half again as much (150%) as my disability pays.

No dependent kids are involved.

Thanks

If you are the owner of the policy, you are "normally" allowed to change the bene at any time to whoever you want. However, a court can order that you keep ins. on your life with ex wife as bene as part of the divorce settlement.

Hello,

In a divorce settlement, can the court prevent the owner of a life insurance policy from changing the beneficiary on the policy?

I'm the owner of the policy & she is currently the beneficiary.

She left me and is the one who filed for divorce (ie she's the petitioner and I'm the respondent).

I am completely and permanently disabled and receiving Social Security disability.

She is healthy, working full-time and brings in about half again as much (150%) as my disability pays.

No dependent kids are involved.

Thanks

She, no doubt, has a lawyer.

This is an example of why people hire good lawyers.

I suggest you hire yourself a lawyer, or if its cheaper, pay the life insurance premium.

I don't think the ruling makes sense, because once the divorce is granted, she would no longer have an insurable interest in your life.

You can attempt to make that argument to the court, good luck.

Back