Can an owner adjust an IC's pay date according to the number of days in the month

Status
Not open for further replies.

knockywife

I am an independent contractor working for a medical company and I would like to know if it is legal for the owner to adjust the pay date according to how many days are in the month which sometimes means getting paid AFTER pay day? For example, If there are 30 days in the month then I get paid on the 15th and the 30th, but if there are 31 days in the month I don't get paid until the 31st. In addition to that, if the 15th, 30th, or 31st falls on a Saturday then he pays me on the Friday, but if the 15th, 30th or the 31st falls on a Sunday I don't get paid until the the following Monday. When I questioned him about this practice and the legality of it, he told me that he has been doing this for 11 years and it is legal because he has the pay schedule posted. Please advise me of the legality of this practice and what, if anything, I can do about it (besides quitting). Thanks.

Last edited:
If you are an IC then employment law does not apply and what matters is what's in your contract.

However, what you describe is quite common (and legal) for employees who are paid semi-monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back