can an exwife ask for new girlfriends tax return and get away with it

angeline

my boyfriend's exwife subpoenaed me and requested by tax return. he pays me for rent and she doesn't believe it. we are not hiding anything. so I have to prove that by showing her my sch E. I have no problem with showing her my sch E, because i'm reporting the rent as income. I don't have a problem with providing pages 1 and 2 of my tax return to show that the amount matches the schedule, but I do have a problem with her seeing my w-2 income and any other personal income unrelated to this divorce. I want to eradicate this information but i'm not sure of any consequences of doing so. I spoke with her attorney and she said she does not want anything eradicated. My boyfriend doesn't even know how much I make, but his exwife will! who by-the-way has a big mouth and loves drama. I want to go after her for harassment/intimidation, can I do that or can I go after her for anything else. I do not want my income information disclosed.

my boyfriend's exwife subpoenaed me and requested by tax return. he pays me for rent and she doesn't believe it. we are not hiding anything. so I have to prove that by showing her my sch E. I have no problem with showing her my sch E, because i'm reporting the rent as income. I don't have a problem with providing pages 1 and 2 of my tax return to show that the amount matches the schedule, but I do have a problem with her seeing my w-2 income and any other personal income unrelated to this divorce. I want to eradicate this information but i'm not sure of any consequences of doing so. I spoke with her attorney and she said she does not want anything eradicated. My boyfriend doesn't even know how much I make, but his exwife will! who by-the-way has a big mouth and loves drama. I want to go after her for harassment/intimidation, can I do that or can I go after her for anything else. I do not want my income information disclosed.

Before you respond to any "subpoena" consult an attorney, a living, breathing, licensed attorney in YOUR jurisdiction.

You have no idea if the "subpoena" is legitimate, or fake.

You also have no idea if the attorney is a real attorney, a licensed attorney, or a fraud, fake, scammer.

Take all of the documents you have received, and visit an attorney, PRONTO.
Cease any and all communications with her or "her attorney", until you have been PROPERLY advised by an attorney you have retained.

It very would could be an attorney who has overstepped his or her ethical and legal boundaries.

I know of NO VALID or LAWFUL reason that the "former spouse" of a person YOU are dating (which provides no nexus for any lawsuit known to this real, licensed attorney) would have to "subpoena" your tax information.

Legally, your tax returns are protected by federal law, and IRS regulations.

Please, consult and retain an attorney.

Finally, you are entitled to fight any "subpoena", not immediately acquiesce and fold because you have been served.
Ultimately, a judge can quash any subpoena, for many reasons.

Bottom line, this sounds and smells "fishy".

PS: Whether he pays you, or you simply allow him to live in your home rent free is, frankly, the business of no one outside of the agreement you and he may have.

Back