Can a school ask you to prove you paid your electric bill in order to enroll a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandnjuly11

Can a school ask you to prove you paid your electric bill in order to enroll a child in school?

I tried to enroll a child in a Chesapeake, Virginia school today and the office

lady seen that I have a past due balance on my electric bill and asked me if I

had paid my bill. I told her it was none of her business and she told me I

have to provide proof (receipt of payment) that I have paid that past due

balance before they will allow me to enroll my child in school.

She told me it is state law! (Which I do not believe)

Is this true and can they really make me provide proof I paid my electric bill before they will let me register?

School: Western Branch Primary in Chesapeake Virginia

I believe they are seeking some proof of residency. A current statement from the power provider in your name and at an address within the district should be sufficient.

Ask if they will seek some alternative form of proof of residency ... say, a water bill? Garbage? A driver's license with the address on it? Chances are there is an alternate form of proof they can seek.

A random search on the internet of assorted VA schools finds that there can be alternate forms of proof ... some districts might require 2 such items. If you are homeless, then the requirement can be waived.

Contact the school administration or the district office to find out what else may be shown for proof.

- Carl

Yes, I agree with you and I did suggest that I could provide the water bill and other bills in my name to which she refused and said that since this bill is past due she cannot accept any others. I did not understand what she meant and she would not explain further other than to repeat herself to me slowly as if I were stupid.

The same woman also told me that I must get my driver's license address changed as well before she will register the child. I had never met this woman before but she seemed to take pleasure from trying to humiliate me which is wrong but unfortunately beside the point.

I need to know is it legal?

I just want to know my position and where I stand legally before I go back to the school to talk to the principal. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back