Can a person interfere with preventing an adult from speaking with me,

Yaeger

I have recently been visiting a person at a nursing facility. I recently have been asked to leave the premise, and not allowed to speak with my friend even though I have power of attorney over her. What is being violated here, and how do I resume seeing my friend at the facility, and she with me?

WHY are you being asked to leave? I suppose that they believe you are doing something that is disrupting staff or the patient's treatment?

Who is the person in this facility to you? I presume it's not family or you would have stated it as such. It's unusual for a non-relative to have a PoA over someone. What type of PoA do you have for this person?

Yes, the facility can limit or prevent visitation under certain circumstances. If you are having problems, I would suggest you first discuss the matter with the facility's administration. Then, depending on what sort of PoA you have, you might consider seeking a new residence for this person ... provided you can.

I have recently been visiting a person at a nursing facility. I recently have been asked to leave the premise, and not allowed to speak with my friend even though I have power of attorney over her. What is being violated here, and how do I resume seeing my friend at the facility, and she with me?

A POA doesn't give you power over anyone. If the POA is legal, you have the ability, should the other party accept your POA to conduct certain transactions at the behest of the person granting you POA.

Bottom line, a POA has no inherent legal authority to force a bank, a business, or anyone to allow you to conduct business on the behalf of another.

What would allow you to be the voice and/or agent of another person?
Why, that would be conservatorship or guardianship.
As the person's conservator or guardian, you in effect become a parent of an adult (or child).
Such a designation carries the weight and authority of a court of law.
A POA doesn't.

We need more details. Why were you asked to leave? Was it because of something you said or did or were visiting hrs. over or something?

Back