Can a person inherit money without a will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrivera

My father died about 2 years ago. He left no will but my parents had a family trust that my mother, who is still alive, took over. 6 months after the funeral, my brother, who is normally quite tight-fisted and crying poverty, completely remodeled his 3000 sq ft home (easily over $100K), bought a new $50K car, and went on a multi week European vacation. Right after the funeral, my mother wanted us to fly to the east coast for a family reunion but my brother said he couldn't afford the air fare so those plans never got started. It seems to me he suddenly came into a lot of money. Could there have been a way for my father to leave him money under the table, so to speak?

Your father is (was) free to leave his money to anyone, even a cat, dog, or bird.
There is no legal requirement for anyone to leave their estate to anyone else, or to divide it equally.
However, a will seems to not be a problem here.
Your dad left his estate to his wife via a trust.
It appears Mom was the beneficiary of the trust.
Therefore, she's free to do anything she wishes with the trust funds, according to the terms of said trust.
If you're curious, I suggest you speak with mom about this.
She is not required to provide answers about her holdings, just as you aren't to her.
You're an adult now, and dad wasn't required to leave you diddly squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back