Other Immigration Law Can a notary in the US authorize a name affidavit for Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratiocinate

I am currently trying to have a name affidavit completed to send to a Hong Kong law firm. I already have the affidavit written up and approved by the Hong Kong lawyer. The process I know of to swear an oath that all my aliases are me is to do so in front of a notary public and then have the county and then state aunthenticate it. The Hong Kong lawyer, however, is saying I cannot do so and must have a lawyer write up a "USA legal opinion" saying someone has the authority to witness my oath, but the lawyer does not say who, only that it cannot be a notary public. Is this "USA legal opinion" necessay and who besides a notary public would I swear to that can stamp or sign the affidavit? Any help would be very much appreciated.

I am currently trying to have a name affidavit completed to send to a Hong Kong law firm. I already have the affidavit written up and approved by the Hong Kong lawyer. The process I know of to swear an oath that all my aliases are me is to do so in front of a notary public and then have the county and then state aunthenticate it. The Hong Kong lawyer, however, is saying I cannot do so and must have a lawyer write up a "USA legal opinion" saying someone has the authority to witness my oath, but the lawyer does not say who, only that it cannot be a notary public. Is this "USA legal opinion" necessay and who besides a notary public would I swear to that can stamp or sign the affidavit? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Notaries in the US do nothing more than verify the identity of the person that signs a document.
They ensure that if "Joe Blow" signs a document, it was "Joe Blow" that signed teh document, and not someone pretending to be "Joe Blow".

Attorneys in the US do not publish legal opinions. They advise clients and offer those legal opinions to their clients. US attorneys have no broad power unlike attorneys in other jurisdictions to issue legal opinions. You might wish to apprise the Hong Kong attorney to further investigate and research what it is he's requesting you to do.

Usually US Embassies and Consulates can offer notary services to US citizens abroad.

Thank you for your response, army judge. I will consult with the Hong Kong lawyer again to work out other avenues besides a legal opinion. The lawyer did mention that he could create a document and then send it to me to have the Chinese consulate witness me swearing under oath, so that might be the better option at this point. Have a great weekend!

Thank you for your response, army judge. I will consult with the Hong Kong lawyer again to work out other avenues besides a legal opinion. The lawyer did mention that he could create a document and then send it to me to have the Chinese consulate witness me swearing under oath, so that might be the better option at this point. Have a great weekend!

That is precisely what you should so.

Consulates are clearly able to administer oaths and attest to the identity of those making the oath.

This can be done under seal.

You have a great weekend, too, ratiocinate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back