Can a case expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh44

Hello,

I've been following a friend's copyright infringement case through PACER, and I see that no new information has been updated as of almost a year ago. The last documents I see are the plaintiffs requesting a compensation for damages, but I see no pending statuses or any documents after that.

I am just curious, does this mean that the case has been dropped? Would PACER state if the case has been dropped or resolved confidentially? If the plaintiffs have stopped their efforts, does the case expire if nothing is done within a certain time frame?

Thank you for your legal advice! :angel

Hello,

I've been following a friend's copyright infringement case through PACER, and I see that no new information has been updated as of almost a year ago. The last documents I see are the plaintiffs requesting a compensation for damages, but I see no pending statuses or any documents after that.

I am just curious, does this mean that the case has been dropped? Would PACER state if the case has been dropped or resolved confidentially? If the plaintiffs have stopped their efforts, does the case expire if nothing is done within a certain time frame?

Thank you for your legal advice! :angel

You should be able to get a case status using PACER.
Sometimes it hasn't been updated or its been sealed.
If it were sealed, you'd see it.
Check the document history.
Cases don't expire.
It could have been dismissed, but that would be easily seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back