can a 16 year old decide ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine1

I am a family friend of a 16 year old who lives in California, she is in a dysfunctional family situation, mom-drugs, dad-abusive alcoholic. She wants to come live with me. I am a 51 year old foster mom. Can a 16 year old decide whom she would choose to live with? If not, is there anything I can do?

I am a family friend of a 16 year old who lives in California, she is in a dysfunctional family situation, mom-drugs, dad-abusive alcoholic. She wants to come live with me. I am a 51 year old foster mom. Can a 16 year old decide whom she would choose to live with? If not, is there anything I can do?
Legally, you have no standing for anything ... there is nothing you can legally do. If she takes off to stay with you, you can be criminally charged.

If this girl is being abused or seriously neglected, notify CPS.

- Carl

no she cant

she can choose where to live when shes 18. untill then, she stays where she is. and no, there is nothing legally you can do, you are a legal stranger to this girl, and have no rights at all.

she catn live with you

untill a child reaches the age of majority( usually 18) they do not get to decide where and with whom to live with, they live where their parents and/or the courts tell then to live. and no, there is nothing you can do, she is not your child. if i were you, id leave it alone. if mom and dad find out you are trying to encourage their minor child to leave home, you can get slapped with a restraining order. she stays where she is for the next two years, niether she or you have a choice. she is legally a child, and does not get to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back