CALPERS Long Term Care-Program

WhoDonnit

Jurisdiction
California
My mother retired with CALPERS retirement. In about 1999 she opted into a "Long Term-Care Program". She's been paying about $300.00 per month for the past 23 years. She turned 92 years of age last December. She is mentally sharp as a tack and remembers things that I don't remember. She's using a walker to get around and rarely leaves her house where she has lived alone for decades. She is having difficulty with daily chores such as laundry, taking out the trash, cooking meals, bathing, etc. We decided it was time to envoke this care program.

It has three different levels of care, two of them would pay for her to be in a residential care facility, the third plan was for "in home" care. Since she wants to remain in her home and she is still able to get around in the house we opted to begin the in home care option. There is a requirement that you hire a local company from their list and that you use them for 90 days before the insurance begins to pay. We began the process and she has had someone there helping her two days a week for 4 hours each of those days. This has been going on for about four weeks. She has received phone calls twice recently from the company that manages this plan for CALPERS asking her numerous questions about the assistance that she is receiving. The company that manages this for CALPERS by the way is in Minnesota. Yesterday she received a letter denying her claim. She has requested the paperwork to dispute the denial.

I find it hard to believe that they are denying claims from a 92 year old that has been paying into this for 23 years. Anybody had any experience with this? Is this just another one of the State of California's crooked schemes?

I find it hard to believe that they are denying claims from a 92 year old that has been paying into this for 23 years. Anybody had any experience with this? Is this just another one of the State of California's crooked schemes?

Every US state has elected state officials and some appointed by the state's governor.

I suggest you contact the Governor, her state senator, state legislator, and the CA Department of Aging.

Here is that link:

Home Page | California Department of Aging - State of California

Your governor:

California Governor

Their leadership:

About - California Health and Human Services

Good luck.

Back