CA Auto Sale Cancellation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanC74

I purchased a car from a dealership, with trade in. Purchased October 1st, dealer wants to cancel October 11th. Contract says, "dealership may cancel within 10 days of contract date". Is the 11th within the ten days?
And a secondary question would be,
I had a trade in car apart of the contract. It says value of car is 6000, after paying my loan, 545$ is left for down payment.
Any way, for them to be obligated to keep that trade in?
Please help. Thank you

You need to read and understand your purchase contract. The answers you seek are within the four walls of that document. Without reading that document, I can only offer general information.

If a 10 day rescission period existed, it normally counts only business days. Therefore, October 1st to October 11th would be either 9 or 8 days. It depends if Monday, October 8th was considered a holiday, or a work day. At any rate, the argument s moot. Because if it was nine days, that's within the ten day rescission period.

But, read your contract and seek clarification from the dealer and/or the lender. As far as your old car is concerned, the answer is in your contract. Generally, you'd return their car, they'd return yours.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Business days or not, the first day would have been the 2nd, having started at midnight. The 11th was ten days. If only business days count then it was well within the ten.

I've read the contract, pretty thoroughly. It doesn't mention business days, and does state that the ten days begins on the date purchased.
So it has been a bit confusing. A really good family friend works for a dealership and he claims I'm within my rights. But I wanted that clarification to be sure. Let me say, that keeping my trade in car, would be hell. Because of the hell I've gone through just to get this far in trying to find a semi decent car, for a semi decent price and my trade in was in rough shape. And on top of that, they want me to pay a $500 restocking fee and to pay for mileage that I've used since. Come to find out, they put couple hundred miles less on the contract. Therefore, I owe for about 300 more miles. #ShouldHaveReadDetails

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back