Buying used vehicle out of state

JAndrewH

I am in Georgia and looking to buy a used vehicle in California and have it shipped here. I have had the vehicle inspected and it is fine. I know that Georgia will just need the title, bill of sale, and current registration. The seller has shown me copies of all of these so that part is fine. It does not require emissions testing here or any other inspection.

I have never done it before and want to ask about the chain of events and how that should happen. It seems pretty simple- I wire the money and he ships the car (I will arrange shipping and he will meet the shipper).

Should I get him to sign and send a bill of sale first? Show a title signed over to me? I have spoken with him, and someone that has had a previous deal with him so I feel he is upfront and honest but looking for advice here hopefully from someone experienced.

You would be wise to utilize some sort of escrow service. You can do a web search for auto sale escrow and find such services.

The seller has shown me copies of all of these so that part is fine.

These days ANYTHING & EVERYTHING can be FAKED or FORGED.

Thousands of people get ripped off conducting transactions remotely.

You have no idea what (if anything) you'll receive.

That said, it's your money to give away or gamble with, so good luck to you.

These days ANYTHING & EVERYTHING can be FAKED or FORGED.

Thousands of people get ripped off conducting transactions remotely.

You have no idea what (if anything) you'll receive.

That said, it's your money to give away or gamble with, so good luck to you.
This is all true and is the reason for Escrow services ;)

It seems pretty simple- I wire the money and he ships the car (I will arrange shipping and he will meet the shipper).

Bad idea. I've bought and sold cars for at least 50 years and I never do that. You don't turn over the money until you've personally inspected the car and have the keys and the paperwork in hand.

I can't tell you how many hundreds, maybe thousands, of car deal tales of woe that I've read that included the words "I trusted."

You're trusting your inspector's qualifications. He could have missed something important. You're trusting that the seller won't just disappear with your money.

If the car is worth the cost of shipping and inspecting, it's worth the cost of travel to do the deal.

Back