buying a house with my money (not husbands) and scared of the ex wife/ child suport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heymattei

I have the down payment to buy a house and just need my husband to make the payments since I don't have a job. I was thinking of putting a good chunk for down payment with my inheridence. I'm scared his exwife will come after our house for backed up child support. I don't know what to do because we really need to buy a house. Is there a way that either I can be the only one on the title of the house but he takes out the loan, or would I be able to do some sort of post nuptial agreement before we buy so that at least she won't be able to go after my half of the house?? Also, his daughter of the previous marriage is 21 years old.

If the house is in your name, only your creditors could come after it. But, homes re usually exempted from seizure due to unpaid debts. Many states have enacted pauper's or homesteader's exemptions.

Or, don't buy a home now, rent. Don't rush into risky situations.

If I were you, I would not commingle my inheritance. Why? If you get divorced, it won't be counted as community or marital property. His track record is suspect, and his avoidance of paying child support should cause you to be cautious.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back