buyer lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhillis

After reading a thread on this board, I have a similar problem and would like some advice. I decided to sell my home I had lived in for 6 years to get married 6 months ago. The buyer had the home inspected by a independant inspector and it passed with the exception of a few minor things that were fixed. The house was built in 1954 and I would assume the buyer would know that an old house would have normal wear and tear. I lived there with no problems whatsoever. Just the other day I received a large package in the mail saying the the buyer was suing me for 10,391.98. They claimed I failed to disclose information about the house and I was responsible for the repairs. After she bought the house she went in and ripped up the floors which uncovered pipes that had be "rerouted" (according to the plumbers report), roof damage (it passed inspection - I was unaware of any problems) which cost $6000 to replace, a/c unit was working properly - it was installed by sears less than 2 years ago, and water heater damage ( the inspector found this after she had asked for $650 in the contract to replace it which i agreed to and paid.) Am I liable financially for these repairs although everything passed inspection or is this person just wanting me to pay for her renovation? I am at a loss and can't believe that this has happened. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think state law varies here but from what I have seen, it is the buyer's problem and they have a right of inspection for a reason. Take a look at the contract of sale and it should have the answer. I'm not even sure that there is a duty to disclose here because how were they expecting that you knew about this condition but deliberately concealed it? In fact, it doesn't seem you concealed anything. It sounds like the buyer is looking for money to pay for what he bought but it's their problem.

I'd be interested in hearing what happens.

Originally posted by rhillis
After reading a thread on this board, I have a similar problem and would like some advice. I decided to sell my home I had lived in for 6 years to get married 6 months ago. The buyer had the home inspected by a independant inspector and it passed with the exception of a few minor things that were fixed. The house was built in 1954 and I would assume the buyer would know that an old house would have normal wear and tear. I lived there with no problems whatsoever. Just the other day I received a large package in the mail saying the the buyer was suing me for 10,391.98. They claimed I failed to disclose information about the house and I was responsible for the repairs. After she bought the house she went in and ripped up the floors which uncovered pipes that had be "rerouted" (according to the plumbers report), roof damage (it passed inspection - I was unaware of any problems) which cost $6000 to replace, a/c unit was working properly - it was installed by sears less than 2 years ago, and water heater damage ( the inspector found this after she had asked for $650 in the contract to replace it which i agreed to and paid.) Am I liable financially for these repairs although everything passed inspection or is this person just wanting me to pay for her renovation? I am at a loss and can't believe that this has happened. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back