Buy here pay here

Status
Not open for further replies.

tish1236

I bought a 01 ford taurus 1/15/11. The terms of me buying the car was that the dealer gave me a 30-day warranty on trans/engine, and in addition to that, the check engine light would be fixed. Yes I know, I shouldn't have even went near the vehicle b/c the light was on, but I did, LESSON LEARNED. So in other words, I spotted a defect, and the guy who sold me the car agreed in writing to fix the defect as part of the sale. Now ever since I bought the car, it has broken down on me twice and overheated numerous times. I went and had the light tested and the codes that came from that are: p0420, p0430, p0171, and p0174. I've taken the car up to the lot multiple times for them to fix "other things", instead of fixing the real problem. This is a very long story and I'm not gonna put you all through that. If interested, please take a look at my attachments. I've attached a doc called my complaint, which is what I sent to the BBB and Attorney General. And there's another doc called documentation, which is everything that's been going on b/w me and the dealer. I've tried to document everything possible. If anyone can offer any advice whatsoever, please let me know what you think I should do next. Thanks for reading!

Used cars are sold "as is".

You may have been told many things by a salesperson.

Read your sales contract.

It makes no promises, express or implied.

It uses the term, "sold as-is".

Good luck!!!

Used cars are sold "as is".

You may have been told many things by a salesperson.

Read your sales contract.

It makes no promises, express or implied.

It uses the term, "sold as-is".

Good luck!!!

The 30-day warranty and fixing the check engine light problem IS written on the bill of sale.

It sounds like you may have some wiggle room with your written promise to repair the check engine problem. However, after 30 days you may not be covered for the various problems that occur as a result of the check engine light not being repaired... unless you can prove it was a direct result, which may be hard.

I skimmed over your documents ant it appears you have only been in touch with the salesmen. You need to get n touch with the business office or a legal representative of the company. Provide them with a copy of your bill of sale along with your complaint. If they see the potential liability they should act to get your car fixed... but don't count on it.

You are beyond working with the salesmen though. That will get you nowhere.

If you can't make any progress on your own then you should contact a local attorney for a quick consult to find out if you have something which may be enforceable.

The 30-day warranty and fixing the check engine light problem IS written on the bill of sale.

As I said, reread your printed bill of sale.

Any annotations added by a human are meaningless.

The original, printed bill of sale is determinative.

I'm not the one you need to convince.

I'm just another dummy on the 'net, not the judge in the courtroom where this will be litigated.

Last edited:
It sounds like you may have some wiggle room with your written promise to repair the check engine problem. However, after 30 days you may not be covered for the various problems that occur as a result of the check engine light not being repaired... unless you can prove it was a direct result, which may be hard.

I skimmed over your documents ant it appears you have only been in touch with the salesmen. You need to get n touch with the business office or a legal representative of the company. Provide them with a copy of your bill of sale along with your complaint. If they see the potential liability they should act to get your car fixed... but don't count on it.

You are beyond working with the salesmen though. That will get you nowhere.

If you can't make any progress on your own then you should contact a local attorney for a quick consult to find out if you have something which may be enforceable.

I've been in contact w/ the salesman and the owner of the lot, John. Since John is supposedly "hardly ever there", I have no choice but to relay messages through the salesman. And the 30-day warranty is separate from the part about fixing the check engine light. The warranty is stated on one line, and on the next line it states "fix check engine light". Thanks for your response.

You need to go beyond "John". You need to address the matter with whoever handles legal matters for the car lot. Check with your state's Secretary of State to see who is registered.... it may still be John, but you need to start doing everything in writing with him... and consult an attorney if need be.

It may be that you have no argument. You need someone to go over the documents with you to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back