Buy Car from private owner

CAFD

I bought a car from a private person, and after a week the transmission failed, so I returned it to the seller because he said he can repair it and after two months he said the car cannot be repaired and now he doesn't want to give me the car or my money back.
During that time I transferred the car to my name so I have the title.
Is there anything I can do to get the car or money back?

I bought a car from a private person, and after a week the transmission failed, so I returned it to the seller because he said he can repair it and after two months he said the car cannot be repaired and now he doesn't want to give me the car or my money back.
What US state?
Why do you believe that the seller is under the obligation to do anything but return the car?

The State is Florida.
I just want to get the car back.
What reason is he giving for not returning the car?
You may need to ask the police to accompany you when you attempt to retrieve the car.

Every time I call him he said he toke the car to the Yunk yard an will pay my money but he didn't pay nothing, so that's why at least I want the car back.
Can I go to the Police and ask them to go with me to get the car?

now he doesn't want to give me the car or my money back.

Every time I call him he said he toke the car to the Yunk yard

Well...which is it? He "doesn't want to give" you the car back? Or he took the car to a junkyard"? If the latter, have you called the junkyard to discuss the matter? If so, what response did you get? If not, why not?

Money? No. Private party car sales are on an "as is" basis unless the seller gives an express warranty. Car? Maybe. Is the car located somewhere you can take possession without disturbing the peace? Obviously, if it was taken to a junkyard, that will prove an impediment to recovery. Of course, if the seller improperly disposed of the vehicle, then you might be entitled to sue and recover damages for the value of the car.

Can I go to the Police and ask them to go with me to get the car?

You certainly can go and ask. I think it unlikely that they will accede, but that depends on where you are and how busy the cops are.

If you have the title in your name and took it to him for repair he can not legally just take it to the junk yard without your permission. You can file a small claims action against him.

Back