Businesse discriminated costumer

Raymond23

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

I'm seeking advice and guidance in a matter that revolves around being discriminated against.

On 5/9/2018 I went to a restaurant with my mother, 61, Hispanic women to eat for lunch. Prior to arriving my mother needed to use the restroom I told her that once we get to the restaurant she could use it there. Upon arrive to the restaurant we asked the individual who was working the front counter if my mother could use the restroom but was declined. No questions were asked and I took my mother to a nearby gas station to use the restroom since she has health concerns that cause her to have to go to a restroom as soon as possible. After leaving the gas station we went back to the establishment and my mother asked what was the reason behind her not being able to use the restroom anymore if before they would let her and fellow customer use it without a problem and was told by the same individual, who is the owners brother that they no longer allow customers to use the restroom due to the health inspectator stating they can no longer let customer use it since they could contaminate the food since it's close the kitchen area as well as can't let people go through the back door anymore. After hearing this we understood and proceeded to order our favorite food dishes at the location give eat. After we were done eating a party of 5 predominantly white older individuals arrived to be seated as we left. Once we got to our we saw one older lady, same age range as my mother, walk in the direction of where the backdoor of the restaurant is, and which is the direction to the restroom. After about a 3-4 minute window the lady walked came out from the backdoor of the restaurant and headed towards the front entrance of the establishment. Before getting to the front entrance I asked the lady myself if she could answer me the question of if she used the restroom from the restaurant and was responded by why did I wanted to know. I told the individual that we were declined use of the restroom that's why and the lady followed by saying she doesn't know, and that I would have to talk to the owners of the restaurant. After hearing this I wanted to walk back inside and see what was going on but my mother was concern and vey upset at the matter and said she felt discriminated against.

I ask and beg for any advice or guidance anyone can give about this matter please.

Thank you in advance

Given that you do not know whether the other woman used the rest room or not, I suggest you forget about it and don't visit that restaurant again.

Last edited:
Your post is difficult to follow, but I agree with the prior response. I'll also say that the first thing I thought of upon reading your post was that you weren't allowed to use the restroom because you appeared to have been in the restaurant the first time for the sole purpose of using the restroom, and it wasn't clear that you would thereafter eat there.

From the description of the alleged "restaurant", bodily functions aside, why would anyone wish to eat where you knew the establishment was encountering health department issues?

I suspect if you did eat there, your restroom breaks MIGHT increase exponentially.

The LA area has hundreds, if not, thousands of GRADE A restaurants.

As mentioned above, my first thought was that you may not have been perceived as a customer when you were declined use of the restroom. Many places reserve restrooms for customers only.

Also, when the other woman later walked to the back, it is not clear whether she also asked permission or if she simply helped herself. If she did not ask then there was no opportunity to refuse her. Had you and your mother been seated in the restaurant then tried to use the restroom without asking permission perhaps you would not have encountered a problem.

In short, there is nothing about what you wrote here to support that there was any kind of discrimination. This is most likely miscommunication.

Your post is difficult to follow, but I agree with the prior response. I'll also say that the first thing I thought of upon reading your post was that you weren't allowed to use the restroom because you appeared to have been in the restaurant the first time for the sole purpose of using the restroom, and it wasn't clear that you would thereafter eat there.
Hello zddoodah,

My apologies for my post being hard to follow. In a short summary, I have been to this establishment before and we were able to use the restroom their without a problem.

Yesterday visit when we first arrived my mother asked to use the restroom but was told by the individual who works at the front counter that the restroom was unavailable. After hearing this we went to a nearby gas station to use the restroom and then came back to the eat. When we came back( still the same day) my mother asked what was the reason behind not being able to use the restroom anymore there and was given the response that health inspectators said they can not let customers use it anymore due to customer having to access it through the back door or through the kitchen area which in return can cause food contamination. After hearing this we understood and left it as is.

Now, here is where I want to know if I can take any legal action on. After we finish eating and we're walking out of the establishment a party of 5 individuals , predominantly white, walked in to eat. We walked to our car and while waiting in the car we notice a older lady from that group walk out of the restaurant and proceed walking to the back of the restaurant to access the restroom. We clearly saw her go in the back door and it took her approximately 3-4 minutes to come out. When we was walking back to the front entrance of restaurant I went ahead and asked her if she used the restroom there but was told by her my reasoning, which I gave, and she followed by telling me she doesn't know and i would have to talk to the owners of the restaurant about that.

My case here is I feel my mother was discriminated against due to my mother is Mexican, female, and same age as the lady.

After this occurred I tried calling the establishment but the phone number is unavailable.

I'm sorry you were not able to follow the first time and hope his clearer to understand.

Thank you and everyone in advance.

My initial answer remains the same. You do not have any evidence, other than the fact that you saw her access a door near the restroom, that she actually used it. You do not know if she asked and was also refused; you do not know if she used it without permission; you most certainly do not know that she was given permission to use it. She did not admit to using it and you did not see her enter the restroom itself. You do not know what she was told when/if she asked. The ONLY thing you know, is that she entered the rear door.

That is not anywhere near enough to sustain a lawsuit.

I have been to this establishment before and we were able to use the restroom their without a problem.

Then why on earth did you think it necessary to ask. You've been there before, you knew where it was.

My case here is I feel my mother was discriminated against due to my mother is Mexican, female, and same age as the lady.

No, there's no discrimination going on. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I agree with the others that you appeared to be a non-customer asking to use the bathroom.

Take your mother back to the restaurant, sit down, order your food, send her to the rest room. I guarantee that nobody will stop her.

Then why on earth did you think it necessary to ask. You've been there before, you knew where it was.

No, there's no discrimination going on. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I agree with the others that you appeared to be a non-customer asking to use the bathroom.

Take your mother back to the restaurant, sit down, order your food, send her to the rest room. I guarantee that nobody will stop her.

I have previously visited this location and have requested to use the restroom even after ordering food yet was told it was out of order all of a sudden(no guarantee after all)

The only reasoning behind me asking to use the restroom rather than myself just going and using it is due to this establishment requieres someone who works there to open the back door or them giving one a key to access it. I would have gone myself no questions asked if this wasn't the case.

To answer everyone's question of why would I even go back then, plain and simple, they serve good food and never had an issue there PERIOD. I won't be going back though after this.

After seeing every ones responses, which I thank everyone for, I can see I would need more supporting evidence for this matter. Lastly, for future references my last question to every one here is what would I have had to occur for me to be able to take action, let alone, document for our safe being? Would I have video record it to let everyone know how it played out step by step?

Once again, thank you to everyone who chimed in, it is greatly appreciated.

So let's say you had what you believe to be hard evidence that they discriminated against you by not letting you use the restroom. What would you do with that? Would you really go to court over this? What are your damages? How were you harmed? I wouldn't have gone back in there after using the restroom at the gas station next door. But that's me. If you truly believe that this place discriminated against you, you can write them a letter and tell them of your believe and maybe you will feel better after that, and maybe you'll even get an apology. The best way to express your displeasure with this establishment is to quit spending money there.

You would need not only hard evidence that the other woman was granted permission to use the restroom, but some kind of believable evidence that the sole reason for the fact that she was given permission and your mother not, was their respective races. Not because the other woman was having a medical emergency, not because she was a friend of the owner, not because she appeared to be a customer and you appeared to be someone looking to use the restroom, but solely and entirely because of race.

I have previously visited this location and have requested to use the restroom even after ordering food yet was told it was out of order all of a sudden

Maybe it was.

this establishment requieres someone who works there to open the back door or them giving one a key to access it

Would have been nice if you had said that earlier. Still doesn't prove any discrimination occurred.

To answer everyone's question of why would I even go back then, plain and simple, they serve good food and never had an issue there PERIOD

So this one time you want to make a federal case out of nothing?

for future references my last question to every one here is what would I have had to occur for me to be able to take action, let alone, document for our safe being? Would I have video record it to let everyone know how it played out step by step?

Right. From now on carry a recorder everywhere and record everything whenever you enter a business establishment on the odd chance that somebody slights you.

Back