Business Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmelina

My partner and I would like to start a small craft business. We have chosen our name but unfortunately found the same name on facebook. I did soe research and I didnt not find the name listed as a tradmarked company. My question is, can we use the same company name as this other company if they are not copywrited? We are both involved in similar but not exact businesses. Thank you for youre help.

My partner and I would like to start a small craft business. We have chosen our name but unfortunately found the same name on facebook. I did soe research and I didnt not find the name listed as a tradmarked company. My question is, can we use the same company name as this other company if they are not copywrited? We are both involved in similar but not exact businesses. Thank you for youre help.

If this is a business, I suggest you consult your attorney.

If you don't have one, you need one, if you're going to run a business.

Generally, you should have no problem doing what you wish, unless the name is registered in your state.

Registering a Fictitious Business Name

A fictitious business name statement (D.b.a. or "doing business as") must be registered with the county clerk of the county of the registrant's principal place of business if the business is any of the following:

Sole proprietorship doing business under a name not containing the owner's surname, such as Smith Accounting Services;
Partnership; or,
Corporation doing business under a name other than its legal name

Fictitious business names are not filed with the Secretary of State's Office. There is no provision in California for registration, in a central registry at the state level, of fictitious business names. You must contact the city and/or county clerk and/or recorder where the principal place of business is located for information regarding filing or registering fictitious business names.

Read this thread from your state government website:

http://business.ca.gov/StartaBusiness/RegisteringaBusiness/FictitiousBusinessName.aspx

You can register your business name with using LegalZoom, for example.

http://www.legalzoom.com/sem/dbapag...kbuByEbz p_z&gclid=CP7SmaL0_rICFQKRPAodzW0ARA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back