Burglary/Trespass

g034

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My ex wife and ex girlfriend broke into my house without my knowledge and stole roughly $1000 worth of furniture/jewelry. I want to go to the police but I think my 17 year old son was with them and I don't want him to have legal trouble.

Question: if my son was there at the time and I go to the police about this matter, will he automatically get caught up in the legal charges or do I have to press charges in order for him to be in legal trouble?

Thank you for any advice on this matter.

My ex wife and ex girlfriend broke into my house without my knowledge and stole roughly $1000 worth of furniture/jewelry. I want to go to the police but I think my 17 year old son was with them and I don't want him to have legal trouble.

Question: if my son was there at the time and I go to the police about this matter, will he automatically get caught up in the legal charges or do I have to press charges in order for him to be in legal trouble?

Does he live with you or was he helping your ex wife and ex gf? You don't press charges. The DA or county attorney decides to file charges or not. Whether you want him/her to do it or not.

Damn both of them robbed you? Geez.

Report the crime, the police investigate, the perpetrators may or may not be nabbed, if they are, the prosecutor eventually decides which ones to prosecute.

The kid can go to the cops now, tell what happened, say mommy made me do it, and he'll probably be given immunity.

Happens everyday, surprisingly.

Is it possible your son allowed them in?
This sounds like it could be messy from a criminal perspective, but you could go to small claims instead and sue for the value of the loss.
Have you tried asking for the items back?

My ex wife and ex girlfriend broke into my house without my knowledge and stole roughly $1000 worth of furniture/jewelry.

Jeez. What the heck did you do to them that resulted in them joining forces against you?

I think I saw a movie or tv show with that same plot.

Back