Consumer Law, Warranties Building Contractor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanatrol

Hello all.

We are having issues with our builder. We hired a general contractor last December to build an addition to our house. The addition was an attached garage with living space above. Part of the job was to remodel and expand the bathroom upstairs. It is now 9 months later and the project is finally nearing completion (planned for 3 month project).

I recently found that the plumbing in the upstairs bathroom is leaking into the crawlspace. I also found that the builder pulled permits for both electrical and plumbing under another persons license and did the work himself. I've talked to the State (Michigan) about this and they said this was a misdemeanor but talking to other builders, they say it is ok as long as everything is approved by the city and meets code.

The builder has cut corners during the whole project and I would prefer not to have him do any additional work on our house, particularly now that I know that he is not a licensed plumber. What are my options? Can I hire another plumber to fix the problem and have him pay for it? This would be my preference but I don't want to get into trouble and have him put a lien on my house.

He also either did not complete or made unauthorized substitutions to the contract/plans. For example: instead of supplying a dumpster for debris, he burned in a barrel in our driveway and carted away in a truck but still wants to charge for the dumpster. Another example: instead of installing a fan/light combo in the remodeled bathroom, he kept the existing fan and added a can light - a much cheaper option and one that I never agreed to. Am I right to go back to him and demand credits? He offered to come back and do what was originally planned but his work has been so terrible that I don't want him touching anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What are my options? To not have him do the remaining work at the house.

Can I hire another plumber to fix the problem and have him pay for it? This would be my preference but I don't want to get into trouble and have him put a lien on my house. Gather estimates from other plumbers and then take him to court so you can sue him for misrepresentation and for poor workmanship.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back