Builder tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAnn

This is a Delaware problem:
-Spec house under construction (about 50-75% complete) when offer made. (History - there was previously on lot a manufactured home (i.e. trailer) so there is an existing septic and well.) Builder was hard nose that he would not alter or make any changes in plans unless paid for up front. (House was being advertised as a potential 5 br 3 bath cape cod on 2 acres - unfinished upstairs - hence 2 of the br and 1 of the bath). Not a custom house, standard house/no frills or fancy stuff. Buyer paid to have the 3rd bath roughed in, along with any other changes she wanted.
-Contract said "standard septic" provided. Buyer added in contract that builder would have it certified. (Apparently in DE septic & wells must be inspected by county authority). But builder was adament that he wouldn't be doing any changes - but this part is not in contract - it was pulling teeth to get the certification part in the contract.
-Fast forward to walk though: no hand rail on 1 side of outside front steps, other handrail is held up by scrap lumber, no grading/fill, nothing on septic. Also contract stated 3 dormers, only 2 on house. Needless to say, build said he wouldn't do anything else on house - buyer very mad and pushing for completion.
-No septic cert ever done, so buyer has it inspected/flunks. Builder wants to give deposit back so he can sell it for more $$$.
-Buyer had file complaint with county, he was trying to sell house w/o cert, filed with DE atty general, has a letter to DE real estate commission since her realtor was saying that the builder was right (builder has different realtor).
-So the question - can she force the issue of having builder replace septic as his cost since the contract said standard septic but didn't list it that is was for a certain size house? I would think that if he was advertising a potential 5 br 3 ba that the septic would have to comply and certainly with a trailer there prev it would be too small.
She really wants house and is willing to wait (a resonable amt of time) for all corrections.
-Yesterday DE dept of justice contacted her to make a formal complaint against builder.
So is there anything else she should be doing?
thanks
RA

One would have to read the contract to know what exactly the builder was supposed to do and if he breached. It looks like he wants to repudiate the whole contract, but that is not so easy. She should contact an attorney, because she probably will need one anyway to assert her claims. From what I read here I would think she has a good position. But an attorney needs to look at the contract.

The lastest - the builder has done nothing to the property. We had heavy rains last week and the septic tank was overflowing - so you know the septic is bad. Apparently there was a co issued because the county septic inspection fell through the cracks (inspection never requested). Now the builder sends a letter to buyer's atty stating that if they don't settle by monday they are in breach of contract. ??? I think the builder is just trying to pull a fast one to get out of the contract - then he can sell the house to someone and disclose bad septic and have a new buyer pay for it. Right now I would think he is responsible - right?
Buyer is really frustrated and losing the warm fuzzy home feeling - how long will this take to resolve? Will she have to go to court? Can the lawyer make enough of a fight to get this guy to tow the line? (Esp since there are now numerous authorities that know what he did/or didn't do).
If she backs out of this then she has to start over again, delay selling her house the whole deal. What could she get from this guy if she does take him to court to perform the contract?
thanks
RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back