Builder changing contract. My options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildinghouse

Hi, quick question here...it would be very appreciated to get even some quick suggestions!

I recently signed a contract on a home to be built, within the last 2 weeks. This contract has been signed and approved by myself and several agents at the builders office, and headquarters.

I received word today that they need to change the design of the front of my house because it is the same one a neighbor chose. I do not feel they are being honest, I think they're just trying to accommodate the desires of other clients by asking me to change my design because they do not "allow" two of the same designs to be next to each other.

Do I have any options here? Can I hold them to the contract we both signed on? This change would drastically change the look of the house, and I'd rather not buy it if I need to change it to the extent they want.

I feel that they are baiting and switching, to accommodate other interested parties. This feels like breach of contract to me.

Any ideas or comments are appreciated! Thank you!

Sounds like a material change to me, and if so you may be entitled to cancel the contract and get your deposit back. Talk to a lawyer.

If you want to fight for your house design, ask them when this neighbour's house was ordered, and if it was after yours, tell them that you have a valid contract that was not in violation of any of their design codes when you entered into it. Their problem is with the neighbour's house, not with yours, and you expect them to honour their agreement with you.

What you describe is a constructive contract change outside the original scope of work. Personally, I'd track the associated cost until completion (to avoid a hostile environment) and bill thereafter. Finally; If I didn't want to keep that house, I'd sell it after billing cost to complete. It appears inevitably patent that a player has failed to extend the implied warranty of cooperation in this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back