Broken Paint Sprayer bought on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsaoklahoma

Hi,

I recently bought a Ryobi paint sprayer off Craigslist for $115. I was told that it worked fine, and stupidly did not test it out to make sure. I then took it home and left it in the box for three weeks while we worked on the home I bought it to paint. When I fired it up, it would not build pressure. So, I called the person that I bought it from and asked for my money back. He said to bring it over to him so he could look at it. I took it to him today (a 30 minute drive from my house), and he could not get it to work but he would not give my money back. I am going to call the small claims court tomorrow. Do you think there is any chance I can get my money back and maybe some money for all the gas and time I wasted? We live just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Thanks for your comments. I called the small claims court today and it sounds like it will be $50 to file and then I can avoid the $50 service fee for a sheriff if I serve the guy using certified mail. So, I am tempted to file a claim, but I have no idea what the law is. Is Proserpina right that anything you buy from Craigslist is sold "as is" even if they tell you that it works and it doesn't. It seems pretty obvious to me that he sold me a defective good. We both verified that the paint sprayer doesn't work the way it is supposed to, and I wouldn't waste all this time trying to get my money back if it had worked. If there is a chance I might win, I will probably take this guy to court just because I think it is really lame that he won't give me my money back when it is clear that he misrepresented what he was selling, even if it was unknowingly.

I'll tell you what lame is, buying ANYTHING put on offer via CraigsList.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for all of your comments. I think I am going to drop it, even though I feel like that guy should have to give me at least half of my money back.

I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with the moral premise. It's just the practicality of it all. Y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back