Broken Engagement

Susanne

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My daughter was with her ex-fiance for a total of 13 years, 5 of them engaged. He ended the engagement without any for-warning. We had been planning and buying items for the wedding since the day he proposed; including the down payment on the reception venue. My question is, can he be held liable for at least half of all of the money we had already spent for their wedding?

My question is, can he be held liable for at least half of all of the money we had already spent for their wedding?

I seriously doubt that HE could be held responsible for debts made by a female NOT his spouse.

I'd be very happy the marriage never happened.

Why?

It saved both parties the expense and angst of a divorce.

daughter was with her ex-fiance for a total of 13 years, 5 of them engaged. He ended the engagement without any for-warning

The WARNING someone FAILED to notice was THE ALLEGED FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT.

;)

can he be held liable for at least half of all of the money we had already spent for their wedding?

Who are "we"?

Regardless, in the absence of a contract that says otherwise, your daughter's ex fiancé has no liability to you on account of things you chose to buy. Romantic relationships are always subject to termination, at any time, by either party, and without notice to anyone.

The WARNING someone FAILED to notice was THE ALLEGED FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT.

The EIGHT year relationship before the alleged engagement is also a good warning.

After that long a time to get to the point of considering a proposal, most are then "full steam ahead". But then, the man who built the red kayak used to say that he couldn't understand "engagements" that lasted a whole year - when you're ready, you're ready: get engaged in October, get married by the end of the same year.

The EIGHT year relationship before the alleged engagement is also a good warning... when you're ready, you're ready: get engaged in October, get married by the end of the same year.
My first date with my husband was on October 4. By mid-November we were engaged, and we were married in March. Less than 6 months from first meeting to wedding - and we're still going strong 25 years later!

My daughter was with her ex-fiance for a total of 13 years, 5 of them engaged. He ended the engagement without any for-warning. We had been planning and buying items for the wedding since the day he proposed; including the down payment on the reception venue. My question is, can he be held liable for at least half of all of the money we had already spent for their wedding?

Why would he be liable for half of things spent for the wedding? If you didn't have some kind of contract in place, legally I doubt there's anything you can do to get him to pay for half. People break engagements all the time.

Do most people end an engagement with forewarning? I'm curious. I've never heard of that. Generally those things aren't sudden, there were signs. I also don't think a longer engagement means that speaks doom. It depends on the couple. I know people who got married after only knowing each other a month or six months and got married and are still together sure. I know those with quick marriages who got divorced. I also know people with longer engagements who are still together and those who aren't. It's just dependent on the couple.

But I digress.

Back