Breach of Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstuff

I am hoping you could give me any advice. I signed a contract for 2 years with a company and moved from England for the job. I wish to cut my contract short to just a year but in the contract it says that i have to pay $50 for every month I did not forfill my contract. Is this legal. Two other employees have left early and did not have to pay this but I do not know why. I wish to leave the job because it is not what I thought and not what I want.
any help would be greatly recieved
thanks

You will have to show the contract to an attorney in your unnamed state. We cannot evaluate the enforceability of a contract we have not read.

What other employees have had happen is not binding on them where you are concerned. You don't know that their contract (if they even had one) was identical to yours.

I am an international recruit from England the two employees that left were also recruits and were given exactly the same letter below. This is the only 'contract' i recieved. I found out 2 weeks before moving to the US my exact job title. I feel that I was misled in what skills I would be expected to use in my job but basically my main job has been driving. Had i known this i would not have applied for the job. Basically my main question is that is it legal to make me owe them money if i choose to leave because im unhappy? I left out the name of the company as i wasnt sure if this was inappropriate to leave in???

Dear Prospective Employee:

xxxxxx is pleased to offer you an opportunity to work for our agency providing supports and services to individuals with mental retardation and developmental and other disabilities.

While every effort will be made to place you in an appropriate site, all placements are entry-level jobs requiring direct care. You could be placed in a Residential, Vocational or Day Habilitation site. You should be interested and willing to perform in any of these sectors as the placements will depend on current vacancies within the company.

Also you must be able to pass the Massachusetts Drivers License Test within 60 days from the start of your employment.

We look forward to our working together for the benefit of individuals with disabilities in our community.

Should you accept this offer, please understand that xxxxx is making a 2 – 3 year commitment in you for this work and training experience and expects the same commitment in return. We have invested a significant amount of time, effort and money securing you this opportunity, in addition to any cash advances you may receive upon arriving in the U.S.

Should your contract be terminated earlier than the agreed upon timeframe by either you or xxxxx, reimbursement is expected to xxxxx in the amount of $150 for each month remaining on your contract.

Please sign below indicating your acceptance of this work/training opportunity with xxxxx and the responsibilities and terms of employment, as defined in this document.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx
Executive Director
xxxxxxx

Accepted by:_______________________________________________

Date:____________________________________________________

This does not look like a contract to me; it looks like an offer letter. Which is rarely if ever a legally binding contract.

I say again, show it to an attorney.

There is no written contract.

Speak frankly with your employer to see if you can get out of paying.

Accepted by:_______________________________________________
Oh its a contract if you signed it. A contract is offer,consideration,and acceptance. Once these elements are met mutual assent has occurred. The offer letter becomes legally binding contract on all parties once mutual assent occurs.

I signed this letter over the internet and did not have a witness. They have not signed this, just me. Does there have to be mine and thier signiture to be binding?

I signed this letter over the internet and did not have a witness. They have not signed this, just me. Does there have to be mine and thier signiture to be binding?
Yes an electronic signature is binding. You would have a difficult time after being employed for over a year,and claim you were not aware,and did not sign a contract. Nothing in the law requires a witness.

Last edited:
All we can tell you to do is take it to an attorney. You signed it, it's legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back