Boyfriend trying to kick my son and I out of his house

Kaylee

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
About 2.5 years ago, I sold my home and moved in with the boyfriend. Things have been so so because of his bipolar, PTSD, and other issues I'm sure I don't even know about. All he's been doing is lying to me and the family. So I confronted him about taking something from me last night and right away he started flipping out and was on the defense. I knew he was lying but then it turned into a "this is my house, get out" kind of arguement. But he threw my crutches at me in front of my son and told me to leave. Started saying bad things to me and calling me names in front of my son. I pay some bills here and pay for all of the food to feed the 4 of us because he has a 13 year old son too including my 5 yr old son. I paint for a living so I've upgraded some of the rooms in the house in hope of selling it one day and getting a bigger one, we've talked about all of this. But latley he hasn't been himself. He is ex-military and owns guns. I'm afraid of him when he turns into this "other person" but my son and I don't have anywhere else to go and live. What rights do I have by staying here until we find a place?

You are essentially a guest/tenant and have no "rights" to the property. Technically he could go through the courts and have you formally evicted but you do not want that on your record if you hope to rent someplace else and you will lose. If things are as bad as you say, why on earth would you want to subject you and your child to this for any longer than you have to? The relationship is over and it is time for you to move elsewhere. Paying for food and painting rooms does not grant you any entitlement to the residence. This is one of the perils of living with someone who isn't a spouse in a home that is not yours.

About 2.5 years ago, I sold my home and moved in with the boyfriend.

Bad move, never trade the safety and security you possess by betting it all on the "come" for an untried relationship with Mr. or Ms. Right Now.

All he's been doing is lying to me and the family. So I confronted him about taking something from me last night and right away he started flipping out and was on the defense. I knew he was lying but then it turned into a "this is my house, get out" kind of arguement.

When you discover (or even SUSPECT) the first lie, its time for you to move on without discussion or further clarification, which in all likelihood will be more lies.

But he threw my crutches at me in front of my son and told me to leave. Started saying bad things to me and calling me names in front of my son. I pay some bills here and pay for all of the food to feed the 4 of us because he has a 13 year old son too including my 5 yr old son. I paint for a living so I've upgraded some of the rooms in the house in hope of selling it one day and getting a bigger one, we've talked about all of this. But latley he hasn't been himself. He is ex-military and owns guns. I'm afraid of him when he turns into this "other person" but my son and I don't have anywhere else to go and live. What rights do I have by staying here until we find a place?

No need to continue listing the reasons to evict your self immediately.

I'd rather be homeless, wandering the streets naked day and night, than to try and exist under the jack boots of a NASTY, THUG LOVER!!!!

There are battered women's shelters available for people who have been abused, or feel unsafe in their living environment.

I'm sure you've been to a hospital or medical provider lately.
You ALWAYS get asked a question like tins: DO YOU FEEL SAFE IN YOUR HOME?

If you say NO, help will appear to see about getting you safely to emergency shelter and assisting you with seeking a permanent safe place to call home.

You are living with a brutal, violent, aggressive THUG LOVER!!!!

Many of them kill, all of them batter.

"What rights do I have by staying here until we find a place?"

"We"? Please don't be yet another woman who attempts to try to save another crazy male and ends dead because of this.

You're living with an ex-military PTSD/bipolar veteran (and I worked in the VA for many years) who has, from your own account, a number of guns in the house.

Get out. Now. Do you want your "rights" or do you want to be dead?

Gail

I will make this simple GET OUT NOW! Find family, friend, shelter etc just get out before you become lead story on 6:00 news.

Back